Water cooling setup for Gigabyte Gaming OC 3090

neXib

Hi. I use my computer for gaming, rendering and mining, and like many others I struggle with high temps, and especially VRAM when mining. I know there's no active backplate on the part that fits my GPU, but does it still help to get the temps down in the 90s range at least?

Would a generic active backplate be addable later in the case one is made?

I have a Fractal Design S2 case, with a top 360mm radiator and AIO solution for cooling the cpu. Since it's aluminium, expanding that solution isn't a point. So my thinking was to utilize the front 360mm radiator mounting position for cooling the GPU with a new pump etc. as a completely separate loop from the cpu. Is this enough radiator space, or should I shift the cpu cooling in front and get a 420mm radiator in the top?

I'm also wondering in general what parts to get apart from this: Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-N RTX 3090/3080 Gaming/Eagle with Backplate

I have only used AIO, and since I need to order from abroad I would like to avoid missing a tube, or a clamp or whatever. Are there any "get this for a 3090" shopping list where I can just add the gpu block? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Hi, that's right. If your CPU AIO is an aluminium solution, then you need to create a separate loop if you want to work with full copper radiators. Switching to water cooling for your GPU should significantly improve your GPU temperatures. I can't promise you specific values around 90°C. On the one hand, Nvidia's 3090 models are heat monsters, on the other hand, this is of course also dependent on the conditions, which are different in every system. Should an active backplate come (is on our to do list), the goal is of course to make it compatible with our GPU coolers. Here is a possible shopping list for you:

Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-N RTX 3090/3080 Gaming/Eagle with Backplate
Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 360mm radiator V.2
Alphacool Eisstation VPP reservoir incl. Alphacool Eispumpe VPP755 V.3 pump
3x Alphacool Rise Aurora 120 mm fan (120x120x25mm)
Alphacool tube AlphaTube TPV 12,7/7,6 - black matte 3,3m (10ft) retail box
Alphacool HF compression fitting TPV Metall - 90° rotatable 12,7/7,6mm - Black
Alphacool HF compression Fitting TPV - 12,7/7,6mm Straight - Black - 6pcs Kit
2x Alphacool Tec Protect 2 Clear 1000ml
Alphacool Apex filling funnel G1/4"

With the list, you technically get a clean loop. Of course, I don't know your construction. I think you should be able to do it with 3.3 m of tube, and the fittings are also available angled in different versions, if that is what you need.

Last edited:

neXib

Thanks, that seems like a good starting point. I have decent cooling solution now, but with case open for mining which is not ideal. So I will probably get the first active backcooled gpu block, and just start getting the other bits of the setup now.