Water getting too hot, loop is okay?

Wordweaver

Now, I have an i7 9700k and an rtx 3080fe that are being water-cooled by 1x 360 Rad and 1x 280 rad... and still, after gaming about 2 hours of cyberpunk water temp reaches above 50c. everything is tight and fine, temps on cpu and gpu are fine, the fans are all in the right order (pull intake on both rads, outtake by 2 140s bottom and one 140 back)

after everything I read, the amount of rads should have been enough? what could it be, that the water gets so hot?

I will add a third rad in the bottom, 2x 120s instead of the two 140 without rad, but will this even help or do I have a problem somewhere else?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
What is your ambient temperature and how fast are the fans running? And wich temps do you have on CPU and GPU?

Wordweaver

Well, the 3 120s are running at max, 1100 RPM, the 2 140 are running at 1300, pump at full-speed (eisball d5), room temperature is about 24c, I don't have an ambient sensor in the case :(

CPU was 60max, about 50 when quitting after getting the water tempt alert, gpu was max 50, and about 40 when quitting. difference between water temp and cpu is usually about 5 to 10c, the gpus stays cooler

would have to repeat the gaming experience while logging to get exact data :)

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Ambient temperatur = room temperatur ;-) On wich position is your water sensor?

Wordweaver

ohhh... thx, yes, 22 to 24c atm, but it will be warmer in summer ?

right after the radiators and reservoir. Agb/Pump - > Sensor (aquacomputer high flow NEXT) - > gpu - > cpu - > 360 Rad - > 240 Rad - > agb/pump

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Ther must be a fault with the sensor. If the GPU was max 50, the water temperature must be lower than 50°. It is physically impossible for the GPU temperature and the water temperature to be the same. The water must always be cooler than the read temperatures on the CPU and GPU. Normally, the water must be about 10-20° cooler than the GPU temperature. Otherwise, the cooling would not work at all.

Wordweaver

OK, well, this sounds logical, I will repeat the gamin experience (after finishing my essays) and try to log all the temps... need to find out where aquasuite saves logs...

Wordweaver

Well... quite possibly I misremembered the max temps... Will have too look ath this or find log files. Next step will be aquasuite Web so that I get a data stream to my phone while playing... then I'll post here again ?

the sensor is new and usually, well, all that I found, aquacomputer is a quite reliable brand

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
It is possible to find a defective part in any product from any manufacturer. The software may be wrong, or the wrong temperature may be read out, or something may be connected incorrectly.
Don't go crazy. Your CPU and GPU temperatures are good, so there's actually no real problem. ;) Its only strange.

Wordweaver

Well, as far as I was able to Google my things... water temperatures above 60 should be avoided at all costs for the pump and soft tubing ? so I will check and double check everything twice before calling it a day (and an alarmind beep is always nice to argue why I need more stuff to my gf ??)

Wordweaver

again after gaming, water is cooler than the other temps, I might have misread them.

water temp. is rising steadily, gpu is stable, but cpu is at 67 at the time of this post, after gaming about half an hour... its the cpu adding lots of heat to the system all the time

Wordweaver

OK, I can't recreate the temps running only cine bench at full load..
I know, that order shouldn't be important, but could it be a tad better if I put a rad between cpu and gpu?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
You can try it, but i dont think the temperatures will be really better than.

Wordweaver

Well.. I thought as much, googled long and far, the problem is the cpu, I7 9700k is known for less than perfect production and heat dissipation... but its working well. I decided to just add a bottom radiator too, 2x120 is incoming... back to nodding sooner than expected... and this time I'm going to let myself build a molex power supply just for the pump so I don't have to take apart my psu in the ideal case that everything fits fine ?? (and I forgot to add a pressure tester... damn again)