Which way should AIO flow ?

tek3195

I have an Eisbaer 240mm AIO with an additional 120mm radiator added to the loop. The 240 is in front as intake and the 120 is up top as exhaust. Each time I think of which direction to run flow, the time before made more sense. Should I have it flow from pump to 120 first exhausting some heat before going to 240 or the other way around ?

davido_labido

Hi Tek,

In terms of loop order, it won't make a difference which radiator is first. In terms of fan orientation, then I would have the 240 as intake and 120 as exhaust as you mention. You can of course test others out, but usually, this is better.

tek3195

Hi Tek,

In terms of loop order, it won't make a difference which radiator is first. In terms of fan orientation, then I would have the 240 as intake and 120 as exhaust as you mention. You can of course test others out, but usually, this is better.
Thanks. Any insight on which normally works better with fans pushing into or pulling from radiator? Seems like push and don't want to test as it is a bitch to mount mine. I'm in a Cooler Master Q300L which is micro-mini tower with 2 rads and vertical GPU stuffed in it. It is in pieces now for final paint and whichever way it goes back together is the way I hope to leave it.

davido_labido

I would have them pushing personally, usually, with ITX builds I have a 240mm rad with fans pushing in, then either a 240 or 120mm rad with the fan on the inside of the case pushing out.

Once everything reaches equlibrium, it all works out nicely :)

tek3195

I would have them pushing personally, usually, with ITX builds I have a 240mm rad with fans pushing in, then either a 240 or 120mm rad with the fan on the inside of the case pushing out.

Once everything reaches equlibrium, it all works out nicely :)
What kind of temps are you used to with ITX builds ? I ask because I have Coolermaster Q300L which is micro-mini tower and it's hitting 80+ in stress test. I thought it would be better than air cooling but same temps either way. I believe I have plenty of air flow, I'm moving more air now than I was with MSI Core Frozr L and temps are actually 2 degrees warmer. Adding the 120mm up top made no change to temps. I've used Alphacool paste and Noctua NT-H1. I believe it is air free as I have turned flipped and shaken it in every direction imaginable. I have the pump set to full speed only slowing down to 80% when under 30C. I have got to be missing something somewhere. I know it's not going to cool like a large bore custom loop, but it's gotta be better than this, doesn't it ?

i7-9700 @4.5GHz with Power limit set at 300W Duration set for 10240sec in Linux
Asrock B365M Phantom Gaming 4
4X8GB Team T-Force VulcanZ @3000MHz CL16
Samsung EVO 970 500GB m.2 SSD
SK Hynix Gold S31 SATA Gen3 2.5" 1TB SSD
Rosewill Photon 550W
Alphacool Eisbaer 240 with added 120 NexXxos ST25, clear tubes and Eisfluegel Square flow meter
Arctic Bionix P120 fans x4
Be Quiet Pure Wings 2 120mm x2
Cooler Master Q300L w/fan openings cut out and Phobya Bricky grilles front and top. Rear exhaust stock fan opening relieved of every other row of material.