Worse temps now using the Eiswolf 2.0...possible wrong pad size?

JJ650

Hello! I just purchased and received my Eiswolf 2.0 this week and have it installed. I have noticed significantly higher mem temps at the memory junction. In stressing games, I am hitting 100+ very quickly. Before it would stay in mid to high 90s. I installed the supplied 1mm pads and did not deviate from the installation manual.
The video card in question is an HP Omen 3090.
Suggestions??

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Hi, which Eiswolf 2 did you buy exactly? And where did you get the recommendation or information that our cooler fits an HP card?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Memory junction on a 3090 with mining, right? Than you need an active backplate cooler. That is not a problem of the pads.

JJ650

I purchased the "Alphacool Eiswolf 2 AIO - 360mm RTX 3090/3080 with Backplate (Reference)". It is a reference design card.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
But only the memorys are going up to 100°? While gaming? Rendering? Get the backplate hot?

JJ650

But only the memorys are going up to 100°? While gaming? Rendering? Get the backplate hot?
Yes. During gaming it is getting quite toasty. It was thermal throttling beforehand and doing so again. Ran GPU-Z and ran Heaven Benchmark to see what it gets to. hitting 100+ easily and quickly. The GPU is staying cool.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Ok, than maybe its really a problem with the pads. Good point... we can fix it... bad point, you need to disassamble the cooler and make some pictures of the pads, so we can see where exactly the problem is to sent you other pads. Package design from nVidia is worse :-/
Sent the pictures to our support directly: info@alphacool.com
Or post the pictures here and sent them a link.

JJ650

Thank you! When I get the chance to tear it back down I will post some pics.
I have some spare pads of various sizes I can give a shot too if that would also help a bit?

JJ650

Ok, than maybe its really a problem with the pads. Good point... we can fix it... bad point, you need to disassamble the cooler and make some pictures of the pads, so we can see where exactly the problem is to sent you other pads. Package design from nVidia is worse :-/
Sent the pictures to our support directly: info@alphacool.com
Or post the pictures here and sent them a link.
Here is a link to the pics. These are untouched by me after removal. Pics taken immediately after back plate and card removed from the main block. What you see is what you get. The backplate pads seem just fine.
The water block pads are hit or miss.

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
The backplate pads seem just fine.
Hi, I can't confirm that. Some of the thermal pads on the back have no imprints! No marks, no contact, no heat transfer! Please write to our support via email (info@alphacool.com) with these pictures. You will then be sent the appropriate pads immediately.

yoyoitsjoe

Did this work? I’ve had a similar problem where vram is higher than stock cooled will little to no imprints on some of the pads. Thanks in advance

JJ650

They said it would take possibly 3 weeks for the new pads to get here. So...I am at 2.5 weeks out right now. Hopefully soon!