xfx 6900xt with alphacool block

avimeso

has anyone been experiencing instability with memory since changing from the xfx 6900xt air cooler to alphacool waterblock?
I use to be able to mine with memory at 2115 while not gaming now im stuck at 2050 or it crashes and restarts system. the alphacool uses less thermal pads but im unsure if it can support the ones the xfx had on it.

avimeso

i suspect lack of thermal pads to be the issue but can the alphacool block support pads 1mm pads in the original spots?

Attachments

• 6900xtalphavsnmorm1.jpg
    6900xtalphavsnmorm1.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 3

avimeso

alpha cool pads and instructions.

Attachments

• alpha1.jpg
    alpha1.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 9
  • alphafront.jpg
    alphafront.jpg
    755.7 KB · Views: 8

avimeso

at 2750mhz/2050 memory the card didnt go over 67c hotspot/47c gpu temp pulling 390w 2hrs of gaming. I just dont understand why it failing 3dmark, crashing at same settings mining since changing the cooler and unable to reach the memory speed it was on air. Also i have a 420mm rad and 240mm monsta rad from alphacool... fantastic high quality products why i bought their block. so im sure there must be a reason why this is happening.

Last edited:

avimeso

Thanks iceman. I must of misread your instructions as there is no way gauge the distance and both parts of the vrm had thermal pads from xfx. Can I reseat the pad or will I need new ones? I have new ones on the way but they are 2 weeks out. The cooler definantly doesn't need the same amount of pads as the xfx put on their cooler?
I have some 12.8w pad sheets on the way in 1mm and 2mm I can use not sure if that would make much diff over the ones provided. if I gotta repad it I'd rather only do it once. Australia has alot higher ambient then Germany.

avimeso

That's the backplate I'm pretty sure its fine tho.

Attachments

• received_2903268703275906.jpeg
    received_2903268703275906.jpeg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 6

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Same here... you put the thermalpads on the wrong position. Must be like this:
received_2903268703275906.jpeg

avimeso

Lucky I checked thanks ill change them around asap. And repaste gpu chip. Hopefully the pads will handle being moved as I'm still 2 weeks off getting brand new ones I can cut.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Good luck. But i dont really understand why you bought new thermal pads. Makes no sense here. There is a reason why we are using Ultra Soft pads instead of normal pads. Because they can compensate for the manufacturing tolerances, normal pads can not. They then push through the PCB.

avimeso

Good luck. But i dont really understand why you bought new thermal pads. Makes no sense here. There is a reason why we are using Ultra Soft pads instead of normal pads. Because they can compensate for the manufacturing tolerances, normal pads can not. They then push through the PCB.
wouldnt of bought them if i knew it was just due to them being in the wrong place, as they were costly. but they could fall apart when i go to move them, then id need new ones. im not sure how effective they are when you re use them either.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Try it out. If you put it in the right place, screw the radiator onto it once and take it off again. If you can see an imprint of the parts on it, everything is good.

avimeso

i refitted the pads with thermal paste on gpu chip, waiting for the loop to get rid of all the air so currently unsure of outcome. One of the backplate screws head fell off. How would i go about getting another, as no spares were sent?I just left one off near the pcie connectors. do i have to contact the reseller aquatuning?

Last edited: