MSI 4090 Suprim X waterblock vrm cooling

Padge

Thank you Alphacool for refunding the waterblock as agreed. I hope you come up with a suitable solution soon! :cool:

Lefab

Hi everyone, I am a bit confused.
Attached is the picture of my gaming X trio.
Will I get the issue described by padge if I buy this water block ?

Attachments

• IMG_20230106_163559.jpg
    IMG_20230106_163559.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 7

Padge

No you will be fine, because the trio has less VRM's, so the ones present will all be in perfect contact with the block.

mouacyk

Any plans to update the compatibility list on the website? Was almost going to purchase the block for a Liquid X.

Compatibility:
- MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24G, 24GB GDDR6X, HDMI, 3x DP
- MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24G, 24GB GDDR6X, HDMI, 3x DP

- MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming Trio 24G, 24GB GDDR6X, HDMI, 3x DP

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Any plans to update the compatibility list on the website? Was almost going to purchase the block for a Liquid X.

Compatibility:
- MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24G, 24GB GDDR6X, HDMI, 3x DP
- MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24G, 24GB GDDR6X, HDMI, 3x DP

- MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming Trio 24G, 24GB GDDR6X, HDMI, 3x DP
What makes you think that? The compatibility is still given.

Padge

Seems as sensible solution, small copper cube to attach to the block prior to installation. Then no more bare VRM...

Marc-eting

Marc the Marc-eting Guy
Staff member
@Padge
Sorry, I had misunderstood you.
If new coolers are made for the card, the error will be corrected.
However, I can't tell you if and when that will happen.

Last edited:

Amnizu

Is there a way to ensure that the block is included on new orders of the existing stock? Would seem silly to order, wait for delivery, see it's not there, file a support case, wait for delivery then install.

Is there a way to ensure that the block is included on new orders of the existing stock? Would seem silly to order, wait for delivery, see it's not there, file a support case, wait for delivery then install.

The best option we can think of would be, if you have bought the product, to write directly with the order number to the support at -> info@alphacool.com or a pm to us here in the forum. Then the missing part will be delivered directly to you before the cooler has arrived and pictures have to be taken for a reshipment, as it usually is in support cases.

Desuwa

I have the same issue, but I have two regular MSI Gaming Trio cards. Not even the X model, though my PCB does seem to have the same layout. The cards do have fewer VRMs than the higher end models but one of them is still in the uncovered bottom slot closest to the PCI connector. It doesn't seem like this water block is actually compatible with any cards at all. I've sent in a support email but I'm not at all happy to find this out just today.

My card has the same layout as https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-4090-gaming-x-trio/3.html and the bottom-leftmost VRM is uncovered.

Edit: Attached my own photo and the PCB layout from techpowerup with the uncovered VRM circled.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 17
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    836.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

revolutionz13

I received one of the new production runs, they did indeed fix this issue. They don't include thermal pads for the actual VRMs, just the mosfets, so I ordered some 1.5mm pads to put on the VRMs. I think 1.5mm is the needed size. Otherwise the new block is solid.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
@revolutionz13

our water block is covering all components which will actually need cooling. We don´t recommend to place thermal pads on other components like the coils, because this can cause that the water block doesn´t have enough pressure and contact with PCB.