MSI 4090 Suprim X waterblock vrm cooling

I finally got both my kits after complaining to alphacool about not receiving them. If you haven't received your stuff in over 7 weeks I'd complain to them to see if they won't remedy the situation. I'll note that the kits and instructions only include one copper block, which isn't going to be enough for owners of SUPRIM cards. I have regular base model Gaming Trios which each only have one uncovered VRM, so one additional copper block per card is enough for me, but if you have a SUPRIM card you need more than just one of these kits unless they're sending out double blocks to SUPRIM owners.

Regardless of which model of MSI 4090 you own, you need at least one of these kits, and the blocks should have been revised months ago.
What adhesive did they give you to stick the copper piece to the block? And did they give you the thermal pad for the copper piece, too?

Desuwa

The kit was pretty simple, each one was single small copper block (nickel or chrome plated) to attach to the block over one uncovered VRM. The adhesive was their two component glue that had to be mixed, I'm pretty sure I mixed it well but I think I probably applied it a bit too thick. At least there's plenty to spare if I did such a bad job I need to redo it. It included a new thermal pad for the VRMs but it is still not long enough to cover all the VRMs on a SUPRIM card (but fine for mine). There are instructions included but that's really it.

If you already have the block mounted, you will need some replacement thermal paste for the core and you should probably have some spare 1mm thermal pads on hand in case any of the stock alphacool pads tear during demounting, two of mine did.

I have SUPRIM card and made two copper pieces myself, rather than waiting ~2 months for their simple fix:
Copper pieces 10mmx10mmx4mm and 8mmx10mmx4mm (WxDxH)
I'm not very proud of my cutting skill, though.
ZkPNcVH.jpg

The 8x10 is for the partial uncovered mosfet, near the PCIe:
aHAZPlC.jpg

The 10x10 is for the completely uncovered mosfet:
qrXKrGC.jpg

Thermal pads for these two copper pieces are Fujipoly 17W/mK 1.5mm:
6B2RTqI.jpg

K359SxH.jpg

Adhesive is Chinese Heatsink Plaster with advertised thermal conductivity of > 0.67W/mK. I have ArticSilver 2-component adhesive with superior thermal conductivity compare to the one they gave you, but I've stored it for too long (>5y), better safe than sorry.
I replaced all their 7W/mK and 3W/mK pads with Gelid Ultimate 15W/mK.

Last edited:

Desuwa

Honestly if not for totk coming out where I didn't need my second card it'd have been worse and I'd probably have just bought what I needed to do something similar or just gone with ~6mm thermal pads. If anyone hasn't bought these blocks they shouldn't buy them now, and if anyone has them but can still return them I'd recommend that instead. No sense dealing with this nonsense if you can avoid it.

Honestly if not for totk coming out where I didn't need my second card it'd have been worse and I'd probably have just bought what I needed to do something similar or just gone with ~6mm thermal pads. If anyone hasn't bought these blocks they shouldn't buy them now, and if anyone has them but can still return them I'd recommend that instead. No sense dealing with this nonsense if you can avoid it.
Can you measure the height of their copper piece? I am curious.
This should be ~4.5mm for the 1mm pad, otherwise, thicker pad should be used for the piece, as in my fix.

You can use 5mm copper piece and use 0.5mm pad, for better perf (in theory), though. Although it's risky because if you apply the adhesive too thick then 5mm will cause you trouble, because 0.5mm pad is too thin to have enough room for pressing.

So I decided to go with 4mm copper (there is no 4.5mm copper bar available in the market)

Desuwa

Can you measure the height of their copper piece? I am curious.
Their replacement copper block sits flush with the existing VRM bar. It's also nickel or chrome plated and has a hole in one side, probably to give the adhesive more grip. It works fine, though it wasn't worth the wait and they should be including two with every block if they're not going to be revising the blocks.

SlimeFudge

@Vanzin Is there plans of revising the product to match the PCB design of the Suprim, or is the only solution for Suprim users to do the shoddy ass attempt at a solution?

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
I am sorry but I can´t say if the water block will be changed. For this you have to ask @Eddy. He knows more about productions plans.

This waterblock, despite its faulty design, works really well. I fixed its fault, anyway. Still NOT receive any fix parcel from Alphacool. So if you have the tools and skills to fix its fault, I would recommend this block.
Very good contact, DeltaT between Hotspot and GPU is just 8C. The card DOES whine, though. But it's not Alphacool's fault, since there is no direct contact with the coil.
0u7KK1f.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/14y6zmt

Last edited:

MDK_pt

O asked this once but i Will ask again

Does the new model core have this issue ?

Alphacool Core Geforce RTX 4090 Suprim mit Backplate

@MDK_pt bro, if you have the MSI 4090 Suprim X, since it has 26 power stages, if you see Actually Hardcore Overclocking talked about the GPU PCB Breakdown of this card:
at 18:10
The heat produced is very small per power stage.
In my Speed Way stress test without any modifications (Afterburner for example), the card draws 404W with 1.05V => ~384A -> still be able to cool themselves passively according to the video.

So, in conclusion, if you like the aesthetic of the Aurora, buy it. The core model has the same water path layout, but copper plate extended to cover the whole card. I'm pretty sure there is no performance gain if compared to the Aurora, although it's much more expensive.

Another reason to choose the Aurora is I bought both the EKWB GPU waterblock and the Aurora, and the Aurora is noticeable heavier. Don't need to make it even heavier by using the core model.

I'm happy with my Aurora now @Vanzin @Eddy . Although if you make it less heavy it would be better.

PS: And FYI, I still don't receive the fix for the card although you wrote that you sent it to me on May 25. Why the hell do you use such bs delivery service Maxi Letter???

Last edited:
Glad I haven't waited for the fix. Came today. My fix is better than this obviously.
Only one cube, and one 11.5cm thermal pad.
All my self calculations are correct. The cube's height is a bit less than 4.5mm
8fIDObp.jpg

aW3KZSO.jpg

1UPTt6V.jpg

VmwkD1Y.jpg

The delivery service and custom fked my parcel:
XfxTrvA.jpg

Threw them all except the cube to the trash bin.

Last edited:

SlimeFudge

Glad I haven't waited for the fix. Came today. My fix is better than this obviously.
Only one cube, and one 11.5cm thermal pad.
All my self calculations are correct. The cube's height is a bit less than 4.5mm
8fIDObp.jpg

aW3KZSO.jpg

1UPTt6V.jpg

VmwkD1Y.jpg

The delivery service and custom fked my parcel:
XfxTrvA.jpg

Threw them all except the cube to the trash bin.
Fine enough that you’re making your DIY solutions to their lacking design for your own use, but that shouldn’t prove as a solution to the issue.

If they’re marketing the product as compatible for Suprim X they should definitely redesign the product to actually be, or at best remove the compatibility information.
Having to both contact customer service to inform of the purchase and make of your card to ask for an aftermarket fix which will take weeks to deliver which upon delivery, like you’ve shown, has been completely ruined apart from the copper is.. lacklustre at best.

@Eddy We’re still waiting on any update from you regarding updates to the manufacturing process in order to remedy the apparent issue. Will you please respond?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
All current coolers that we have in stock have already been revised and now cover the entire range. However, I cannot say what the situation is at other dealers, as we do not know their stocks and storage times. It's also a bit difficult with the number of dealers who don't all buy from us but also from other intermediaries.
1690380452395.png

SlimeFudge

All current coolers that we have in stock have already been revised and now cover the entire range. However, I cannot say what the situation is at other dealers, as we do not know their stocks and storage times. It's also a bit difficult with the number of dealers who don't all buy from us but also from other intermediaries.
View attachment 5371
Thanks for the update and concise answer. Looking forward to purchase from your stock in the near future

Talynne

@Eddy This is probably going to sound a bit different, but I wish to convert my MSI 4090 Suprim LIQUID X 24G from the "stock" AIO setup to a water block with fittings for a hard line custom loop. While the liquid version of the card is listed on the compatibility chart, can you confirm that the Alphacool RTX 4090 Suprim with backplate water block does in fact work with the liquid version of the 4090 Suprim? If so, did the issue noted within this thread also apply to the Suprim Liquid version, and if so, has it also been corrected (presuming purchasing directly from Alphacool stock and not an intermediary)? Thanks!

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
@Talynne Check our GPU configurator: https://www.alphacool.com/en/gpu-config

The liquid version has the same PCB as the non Liquid version. The coolers in our warehouse all correspond to the new version. You don't have to worry about that.

cactcat

Hi @Eddy ,
How long does the copper cubes typically take to the USA via Maxiletter? It's been just over 2 weeks since confirmation from Tim L . at support email that 2 sets of copper mods would be sent since I have 2 MSI liquid X's in hand.
Best regards,
Jamey

cactcat

Hi @Eddy ,
How long does the copper cubes typically take to the USA via Maxiletter? It's been just over 2 weeks since confirmation from Tim L . at support email that 2 sets of copper mods would be sent since I have 2 MSI liquid X's in hand.
Best regards,
Jamey
I have to say the customer experience with alpha(not so)cool is subpar at best.