MSI 4090 Suprim X waterblock vrm cooling

Padge

Hi, I have the Alphacool water block installed on my MSI 4090 Suprim X

The block leaves some of the vrm components completely uncovered and uncooled. I have attached a picture of one, there is some thermal putty around the module where I tried to create some contact to the block, but the gap is way too large. On the other side of the card another vrm chip is not correctly covered by the block.

The vrm design ends too soon and is not wide enough to cover all of them. To my knowledge these can get very hot and need active cooling. All these vrms were covered and contacting the original MSI heatsink by design, but not the Alphacool block.

What do you advise? Long term this could be very bad, as the power load can be very high with these cards and vrms without active cooling will get very very hot under load.

Attachments

• IMG_20221220_121108905_HDR_2.jpg
    IMG_20221220_121108905_HDR_2.jpg
    789.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Padge

This Alphacool block would probably cover all the vrm chips for the MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, but it is not covering or contacting all the vrm chips (as the original MSI cooler would) on the Suprim version of the card.....

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Can you make a picture of the whole PCB without the cooler? Because we had the Suprim here for a physical check and we had no issues. Not sure if they have changed something with another batch.

Padge

The PCB is just the same as this attached file. There is no varying PCB in this case, I have the stock same Suprim X card as normal.

I have circled the vrm that is not covered or connecting to the Alphacool block in any way at all. It is 100% left open and uncooled.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 28

Padge

There is also (on the opposite side of the vrm line) one chip that is also not fully covered, it may be half connecting to the block. I would suggest the vrm design on this block is not long enough to encompass fully all the vrm chips of the Suprim X card.

SpuddyUK

Same issue as Padge, though fortunately I have yet to fit the block. Arrived a couple of weeks ago and on inspection and looking at board diagrams, the two raised rectangles on the block are too short. Have also sent a contact form note.

4090 Suprim X

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
We looked at it internally. The problem is, the 3D data we got directly from the manufacturer does not show this part. The component was only added to the PCB later by MSI without us being informed.
We will make a fix and offer it for the affected cards or send it on request. But this will take some time. The heat dissipation per voltage converter is less than 3W. Due to the cooling of the remaining voltage converters or the components right next to them, the problem is not dramatic. The voltage converter is still actively cooled via the PCB. The card will not suffer any damage from this. But yes, it is annoying, also for us, because of the wrong data we received.

So there are currently only two possibilities. Either you send the cooler back to get your money back. Or you write us a mail with your customer data, or a copy of the invoice where you bought your cooler, then we will send you the fix as soon as it is ready and available. How the fix will look exactly, I can't tell you at the moment. We are currently working on several ideas.

If you write to us at info@alphacool.com please write in the subject line: RTX 4090 Suprim
Then we can assign the mails more easily.

Padge

Thank you for this reply, I believe I will have to return the block for a refund. But how would this work exactly? The shipping I paid was very expensive on your website, return shipping will also be expensive I believe. This will need to be done some time after the Christmas holidays. Please let me know.

Horologium

For me it looks like this...
Since I pre ordered I assume I also need a replacement?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221221_142805_QuickPic.jpg
    Screenshot_20221221_142805_QuickPic.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 35

Padge

Basically the same as mine, or anyone with this block and a Suprim. Yes you should contact support.

rhorvath

Hi,

I received this block about a week ago (haven't tried fitting it yet), but I have the MSI gaming X trio, which was mentioned that might be compatible with it anyway due to it's reduced vrm. Could anyone confirm that this is the case?
Also, the other bit I am slightly worried about is that just looking at all the other blocks (EK, phanteks) and even other 4090 blocks from alphacool, the msi block seems to have the least amount of components covered with thermal pads. All others have more (in some cases significantly more), is that not a problem also?

Thanks

Padge

The trio card uses the same PCB as the suprim, but has less vrm phases, as a result the Alphacool block will connect and cover all the important chips on the card. I have no concerns for you and your trio 4090 with this block! :)

Amnizu

Any idea on when this will be resolved for new orders? Would prefer to stay with Eisblock but looks like I might have to go pay the EKWB premium.

rhorvath

The trio card uses the same PCB as the suprim, but has less vrm phases, as a result the Alphacool block will connect and cover all the important chips on the card. I have no concerns for you and your trio 4090 with this block! :)

Could anyone from from alphacool confirm this? I'm really worried that based on the installation manual, this is the only block (even in alphacool's selection) that does not cover the power stages, only the vrm chips.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Until now we don´t have any information about the used PCB Layout of the RTX4090 Gaming X Trio from MSI. Therefore I can´t say if we have a compatible water block. If you send us a photo of your GPU without the original cooler we can check, if one of our water block is compatible.

rhorvath

Until now we don´t have any information about the used PCB Layout of the RTX4090 Gaming X Trio from MSI. Therefore I can´t say if we have a compatible water block. If you send us a photo of your GPU without the original cooler we can check, if one of our water block is compatible.
Layout is the same as the suprim, just less power stages

rhorvath

Hardware unboxed did a video on the trio and the suprim, and they said the PCB has the same design with the only difference being the number of power stages.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
HI @Amnizu

Thank you very much for the photo. The Gaming X Trio is using the same PCB as the Suprim x and our water block is also compatible with it.