Advice for AMD Ryzen 3990X

Branimir

Do you have a recommendation for an AIO system for AMD Ryzen 3990X?
If you don't have such system to offer, do you plan to develop and sell the AIO system for AMD Ryzen 3990X?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
We are working on a AIO solution for sTRX4 CPUs. But iam not sure when it will be done. Maybe in 3 month. But you can built very easy your own AIO for this CPU. You need only a big case.

Main part the Eisbaer Extrem Solo: https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radi...-extreme-liquid-cooler-core-280-black-edition

That comes with a big reservoir, radiator and a VPP755 D5 pump. All you need are tubes and 4 fittings and a sTRX4 cpu cooler. One of these cooler:

Tived

Branimir,
did you manage to cool your 3990x? what did you end up doing?

Eddy, I have just purchased the Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme 280 Black edition, from Performance-PC, hoping that it will be sufficient to cool down any of the Threadrippers 39x0x.

would Alphacool make any suggestions as to how to expand the above to make it cooler and stay quiet? eg. add an ice block or reservoir, add more fan's ? bigger CPU block? for another beginner in watercooling, which direction do we go?

thanks

Henrik

Branimir

Henrik,

I didn't have 3 months to wait for Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme to be built, so I ordered Thermaltake FLOE RIING 360 TR4. So far, it works very well.
Later, I added 3 more Thermaltake fans on the other side of the FLOE RIING 360 radiator to increase airflow in a push-pull configuration and reduce the processor temperature for an additional 2-3 C. I applied Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste instead of Noctua NT-H2 to reduce the processor temperature by 0.5-1 C. There is a minor increase in fan noise with additional 3 Thermaltake fans.

If you run most or all of your 3990X cores, especially above 3 GHz, you'll have a fan noise from the water cooler's radiator fans. You can't avoid the fan noise, except if you acoustically insulate the radiator block. I'm using 3990X to run numerical calculations in parallel processing. AMD 3990X works great on Windows 10 Pro Workstation. My PC is on 24 h/day, 3990X idling temperature is T=39 C with MSI Creator TRX40 MB/256GB Ram/3x Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2, and dual MSI Geforce-RTX-2080-Ti-Gaming-X-Trio, the idling PC power consumption is 155 W at 2.2 GHz. At the maximum load (all cores up to 4.3 GHz through AMD Ryzen Master) it can hit over 660 W (no load on the video cards). So far, the system didn't show a single glitch.

Thanks,
Branimir

Tived

Wow, Branimir!
what a nice system, i am almost ashamed to say that I will just be doing image editing and learn 3D modeling stills (not animation).

It will be my box for the many years to come (last one was built in 2010, Evga SR-2, Xeon)

I have been using Noctua for cooling for as long as I can remember, this is my first attempt into water-cooling.

I am trying to learn as I go along, I really appreciate your feedback.

My Setup (in progress)
CPU Threadripper 3970x,
Mainboard, Gigabyte Designare
RAM: 128Gb (4x32GB 3200 Ripjaws V)
Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate 520 and 4x 2TB MP600/Gigabyte Gen4 in raid, with room to add another 4x NVME's and
GPU ASUS RTX2070 super
should be one slot left for a stronger GPU later, when skill and ability meets a better income ;-)
PSU Corsair HX1200w
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL (not all fitted yet! fingers crossed) - if not then it will go in my old Lian Li V2120

I am excited to see how the Extreme will hold up, I am already thinking of using a set of fans to do similar to you a push/pull and replace the CPU block to a larger one, Absolute Threadripper 3+ but that will be another project down the track POST Covid

thanks for sharing

Henrik