Core and Hotspot temps problem with Gigabyte 4070 Ti Super Gaming OC

Hard to say. They’re currently overwhelmed with inquiries. As far as I know, they’re about 3 to 4 business days behind on emails at the moment.
 
So hello again, I've ordered myself 1mm pads and tested and measured again. I've measured the original with 0.55mm, the new pads are really 0.95-1mm. I documented it everything with photos... with 1mm pads the GPU is not touched when assembling it together. You told me you have no 0.5mm in production, but the original were 0.5mm and the 1mm don't fit either... so do you know your product guys? do you assure you qualify either in packaging or in manufacturing? Something is wrong here...

edit: luckily I also ordered 0.5mm which I'm using now, but same temperatures as before. GPU good, VRAM around 85C.
 
Last edited:
You can't just use any 1mm pads. Not all 1mm pads are the same—it depends on the hardness. We use extremely soft 1mm pads that can compress down to 0.6mm to ensure sufficient contact pressure. If you use pads that are too hard, you'll end up with exactly the problem you're facing now. You need 1mm pads with a hardness of 25 Shore 00 or something very close to that.
 
Yes, but the original ones were probably also not right so otherwise I would not face this problem at all... the customer support does not answer my request, but in terms of customer satisfaction it would be really great if you could help fixing the issue with the right thermal pads.
 
Nvidia sometimes has extreme tolerances when it comes to GPU height. The included pads are correct — unless they were somehow compressed (in storage or elsewhere). But if the GPU tolerances are off, different pads may be needed. That’s why we advised you to contact support.
All tickets and emails up to last Sunday have been answered. Either your email didn’t reach us, the ticket system had a glitch, or our response ended up in your spam folder. Our mail is: info@alphacool.com
We need a photo showing the impressions of the current thermal pads and the thermal paste. If you send that to us, we’ll gladly send you suitable replacement pads.
If you prefer to buy them yourself, make sure they’re ultra soft pads with the specified hardness level — or at least very close to it.
 
I received a new pads from Alphacool, but it is 2mm 🤣

Luckily my Upsiren pads from AliExpress arrived today 0.75, 1.00, 1.25...

I've tried all of them, but 0.75 fits best and VRAM temperatures maxes out at 45-50C, GPU at 55C and Hotspot at 65C.
 
Wanted to add a few data points that might help others in this thread.

Thermal pad thickness confusion: The pads that ship with this cooler are 0.5mm, not 1mm. The datasheet says 1mm, but the thermal pad paragraph says 0.5mm, the manual says 0.5mm, and the baggy in the box says 0.5mm (photo attached for proof). I initially trusted the datasheet, put in 1mm pads, and it caused real heat problems.

GPU: Gigabyte 4070 Ti Super Gaming OC (same as others here), cooler: Eisblock Eagle for Gigabyte.

Standoff issue: I had zero die contact out of the box. Stock standoffs measured ~3mm; I shaved mine down to 2.4mm (target was 0.025in / ~0.63mm reduction). I don't recommend doing this unless you have no other option; everyone else in this thread seems to be fine on stock standoffs. For me, without shaving, the GPU wasn't contacting at all and hotspot hit 110C instantly.

Repaste results: After repasting, hotspot wouldn't drop below 90C. Turned out to be the 1mm pads, since even fully compressed they only squished to about 0.5mm, still not enough to close the gap. Switched to Gelid 0.5mm pads (from Amazon) and temps dropped dramatically.

Temps, 1mm pads (room temp ~76F): GPU 75C, hotspot 90C, memory 45C

Temps, 0.5mm pads (room temp ~76F):
  • Stress test: GPU 50C max, hotspot 67C max
  • Cyberpunk 2077: GPU 50C max, hotspot 65C max, VRAM 68C max
0.75mm pads would probably shave a bit more off VRAM temps, but 68C is already fine and not worth chasing. They're also hard to find outside Amazon, or overpriced on Newegg (probably shipped from China either way).

If you're about to repaste, just buy the 0.75mm pads up front, why not. Others have been happy with them, and unless your standoffs are shaved, there's likely some lack of compression to make up for.
 

Attachments

  • thermal pad.jpg
    thermal pad.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back
Top