Suitable Water block for Gigabyte 2070 Super windforce OC

vinnybear

New information regarding the block. The train (which is left as last option for us to get the products to Europe) is on its way to us. Estimated arrival day is the 18.05.2020 :) @vinnybear if you want you can preorder the block ^^

well that went quicker than i thought. what is the correct reference then for this card's waterblock please ?

vinnybear

Not sure if Alphacool actually want the feedback - but might help others here. Back of my card was getting really hot - way too hot to touch - under load e.g. gaming for extended periods or running benchmarks. Particularly around the VRMs. When I took the block off the card - the long thin strips of thermal pads that (are supposed to) make contact with the square VRMs didn't have any imprint of the components on them - indicating there was little or no contact. The shorter pads recessed in to make contact with the capacitors were ok however - nice imprints of the tops of the caps showing good contact.

So I replaced the thermal pads on the VRMs with some slightly thicker pads - put everything back together and it's much much better. Card runs at 41c under load (not 45+c) and the back is much cooler - never gets too hot to touch now even running furmark for 30 mins or so..
Hi Avari,

is your card the 2070 Super or a 2080 ?

I'm going to get one of these and want to plan to get some thermal pads in advance so i don't have issues during installation.

Also would you be able to tell me the approximate length of the various thickness strips you ended up using please?

thanks
Vincent

leon17531

I am excited to find this block, while when I was searching it on the online shop, and find " This water block is not compatible with the REV1.1 from Gigabyte ", unfortunately my card is REV1.1. Could you please let me know if it is really not fit at all, or somehow I can still put it on? Thank you very much.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
It will not fit on Rev. 1.1, sorry. ther is no chance to mount this cooler on this card.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
For the future.... if you like to use water cooling products... best way is to buy GPUs with Reference Design or Founders Edition. That are cards you will always get blocks for.

levitategamer

This form is asking about a:
Gigabyte GV-N207SWF3OC-8GD
But what I need is a water block for a:
GV-N2070WF2-8GD rev 1.0

Or maybe a different rev I can send you the width for extra precautions.
The GPU is 10 1/2" wide.
Also, Would it be possible to have it sent to the USA?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirshameless

Alrighty! I know this is a bit of an older thread but it's time to put in my two cents for those asking if there's a water block that fits the GV-N207GAMING OC-8DG. so there is a way to make the recommended Alphacool block for the windforce cards fit.
The card you need is the Alphacool Eisblock GPX Aurora #12984

In order for this to fit correctly on the Gigabyte Gaming OC -8GD card, you need to CAREFULLY remove the plastic clip for the OEM RGB header for the Gigabyte logo on the fan cooler. Use a small wide sharpened screwdriver or something similar in nature to not damage the PCB. Then, you need to desolder the four pins for the "J603" header,received_512845176572087.jpeg as you'll learn that they stick out just a bit too far and conflict with the block. You'll need a hot soldering iron, and a small wire clip or something suitable to grab one of the pins but not wick the heat away too much to allow the solder to melt. Just be sure to NOT BURN THE PCB! Lol20210501_111744.jpg

Sirshameless

So, as you can not see from any photos i tried taking, there are four standoffs so these will have to be able to get my point across. I had to sand down the four standoffs that surround the GPU die approximately .8 mm or so. You'll see in the photos that the 5mm standoffs have a rounded off shoulder. These are hollow bolts used for the block to be screwed down through the PCB. The idea here is you need to sand these down with a higher quality sandpaper (I used 120 grit 3M Cubitron II) that way you can remove enough material on the heads of them to close the approximate .5mm gap between the cooler and the GPU die. This will make sure you have enough squish and even contact between the two.16198916830669145057214686442731.jpg

Attachments

• 20210501_113007.jpg
    20210501_113007.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 16198919349388823689815013332275.jpg
    16198919349388823689815013332275.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 16198919615617597793101202596871.jpg
    16198919615617597793101202596871.jpg
    657.6 KB · Views: 4

Sirshameless

You'll need to remove enough material evenly on those standoffs to basically eliminate the rounded shoulders. Once those are abraded down, you'll see that your die will make proper contact.
You'll see that the waterblock thermal pads Alphacool provides won't all work when put into place, you'll have to swap some of the original ones from Gigabyte. The memory will need the OEM thin thermal pads from the Gigabyte cooler, and the caps that feed the VRMS for the Die also are too tall for this block. BUT i was able to utilize the thermal paste provided to make contact with the block. Worked like a charm. After this was done the block fit up correctly and everything so far is good.
Hopefully the thing doesn't leak ?

ezveedub

Alrighty! I know this is a bit of an older thread but it's time to put in my two cents for those asking if there's a water block that fits the GV-N207GAMING OC-8DG. so there is a way to make the recommended Alphacool block for the windforce cards fit.
The card you need is the Alphacool Eisblock GPX Aurora #12984

In order for this to fit correctly on the Gigabyte Gaming OC -8GD card, you need to CAREFULLY remove the plastic clip for the OEM RGB header for the Gigabyte logo on the fan cooler. Use a small wide sharpened screwdriver or something similar in nature to not damage the PCB. Then, you need to desolder the four pins for the "J603" header,View attachment 2435 as you'll learn that they stick out just a bit too far and conflict with the block. You'll need a hot soldering iron, and a small wire clip or something suitable to grab one of the pins but not wick the heat away too much to allow the solder to melt. Just be sure to NOT BURN THE PCB! LolView attachment 2436

That's the same header removal I posted for the 2080 Super here: