Suitable Water block for Gigabyte 2070 Super windforce OC

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi, the package is in Cadiz/Spain. Last update/information from UPS was today. Do you have the tracking number? You need to call your local UPS office and ask them what is going on. If they cannot give you any information just let us know. In this case i assume the package is lost and we need to start an investigation.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
My bad i am sorry this information is very new. I had different info today in the morning but at least the package is moving and on the way to you.

avari

Feedback so far...

Seems to cool the GPU and memory well - but not so sure about how well it cools the whole card. Is a shame that the water doesn't go over the entire block particularly the VRM/capacitors. Running a long furmark or similar - the GPU/mem stays cool - 45c or so but the backplate - particularly where the VRMs are heats up to the point where it's too hot to touch - eventually the entire backplate is very hot. Focusing airflow over the back of the card would of course help - but that's not really the point of watercooling!

Edit: Actually i didn't look hard enough - case is a bit crowded and I don't want to remove the card - i think the VRMs do have water flowing over that part of the block. Doesn't change the fact that it's really hot at that point - and not just furmark - same in gta/sotr/fortnite etc. We don't really have these cards watercooled to not run them 100% :) It might be me of course - at the weekend I'll take the block off and check the thermal pads etc. are making enough contact with the VRMs/caps. No one else had any heat issues there?

Cosmetically it looks ok - but I'm personally not that keen on the black 'RTX 2070 super' logo on the top of the inlet/outlets - looks like it might be removable but don't want to damage the block. Can it be removed?

Not sure if Alphacool actually want the feedback - but might help others here. Back of my card was getting really hot - way too hot to touch - under load e.g. gaming for extended periods or running benchmarks. Particularly around the VRMs. When I took the block off the card - the long thin strips of thermal pads that (are supposed to) make contact with the square VRMs didn't have any imprint of the components on them - indicating there was little or no contact. The shorter pads recessed in to make contact with the capacitors were ok however - nice imprints of the tops of the caps showing good contact.

So I replaced the thermal pads on the VRMs with some slightly thicker pads - put everything back together and it's much much better. Card runs at 41c under load (not 45+c) and the back is much cooler - never gets too hot to touch now even running furmark for 30 mins or so..

avari

Thank you very much for the update. Where you be able to shoot some photos of the imprint of the pads?
Unfortunately not, I really should have but I didn't think about it until I put it back together and things tested better....

The pads weren't deformed at all - no visible markings on either strip from the VRMs - in comparison to the two similar (shorter) pads on the capacitors which had very clear rings imprinted. I replaced both the provided VRM pads with 1.5mm pads.

ezveedub

Thank you very much for the update. Where you be able to shoot some photos of the imprint of the pads?

I assembled my GPU block on my 2080 Super and had noticed the same issue with the VRMs. The thermal pads are too thin, on the VRMs and the inductors. The pads for the electrolytic caps are too thick. The supplied themal pads are 1.0mm for the power components. The inductors and VRMs need 1.5mm thermal pads & the capacitors need .5mm thermal pads. I changed them out after the initial assembly and tear down to check. See attached pic showing the lack of impressions in the pads from the VRMs and inductors and the squashed out pads for the capacitors.

Pic with the blue and grey thermal pads is the 1.5mm and .5mm pads installed to correct the issue.

Attachments

• 5562F8C3-7E97-4D71-96D0-E126AC3A25F5.jpeg
    5562F8C3-7E97-4D71-96D0-E126AC3A25F5.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 58B75CB6-2BA5-4D08-AA1A-03CE0077902A.jpeg
    58B75CB6-2BA5-4D08-AA1A-03CE0077902A.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DEF37F8C-2798-4E70-966F-D41F47A737F4.jpeg
    DEF37F8C-2798-4E70-966F-D41F47A737F4.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 33
  • D33BA799-2E50-492F-8FDB-0B3AB727C1C8.jpeg
    D33BA799-2E50-492F-8FDB-0B3AB727C1C8.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
After the first complain about this problem we have checked the technical draws immediately. Everything is correct pn our side and this is not a product issue. Must be a problem with some graphics card but not all. Thank you for the pictures. Do you need any replacement pads or thermal paste? If yes just let me know please.

ezveedub

After the first complain about this problem we have checked the technical draws immediately. Everything is correct pn our side and this is not a product issue. Must be a problem with some graphics card but not all. Thank you for the pictures. Do you need any replacement pads or thermal paste? If yes just let me know please.
GPU block was not purchased directly from Alphacool, but from PerformancePCs in the US. If replacement pads could be supplied through them or directly, then yes, as I had to find left over thermal pads to make this work.

fortyKnoxy

So guys finally installed my GPU Block and its awesome!! I like it very much.. Cabling is not done yet.. waiting still on some stuff and I will post a final pic of the rig :) Temps and stuff like that is still not tested for the GPU but in normal using I couldn't get it over 30C the GPU :) my CPU is also 32-38C like I said in normal use, YouTube, Internet etc.. for Gaming still not Tested how the temps are because I don't know if I should Install second Monitor for monitoring Temp using Software or some Hardware Temp Monitoring Option..

Attachments

• Alphacool.jpg
    Alphacool.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 27

Gorrinako

Hi guys, im following this nice post long time ago, time to buy is coming for me xD
Can you please give me a direct link to that pretty block? THX so much

Edit: and, one more thing.. should i get a backplate too? Thx again ^^

Last edited: