Water Cooled Y40

Cre8 Modding

For 2023 I am kicking things off with a build in the new Hyte Y40, I've previously built in their Y60 and I thought it would be nice to follow that one up with something similar.

Hyte was kind enough to send over a white version of the case and on first impressions, it looks lovely! I will be throwing a full hardline system in this with the following;

MSI Z690 Carbon Wifi
Intel 13900K
32GB of TeamGroup Vulcan DDR5 5200
RTX 3080 Founders Edition
be quiet Dark Power Pro 1200W
Seagate FireCudas 520/530 approx 10TB total

I will get to those main components later as they are still mixed between other systems. The Alphacool parts are on their way, and again thank you to them for supporting this build, when they arrive I will throw some photos up. I'm quite excited as I will be putting in one of Alphacool's new Core distro plates to the side area of the Y40. I am a little concerned about how deep this is going to be though, a 30mm rad, fan, and then the distro in front of that so it will step out a lot from the rear of the case.

Until the water-cooling parts get here though, here's some shots of the Y40!

Cre8 Modding

Moving swiftly on!

My first job is to remove the included Hyte fans from the Y40 and then get the motherboard into place. MY Z690 Carbon has my 12900K in place, awaiting the arrival of the 13900K from Intel so it can stay in here until it drops in.

Next, it's time for a look at what Alphacool kindly sent over!

Alphacool Core Distro Plate 240 Links VPP/D5
Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm Radiator V.2 - White Special Edition
Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 360mm Radiator V.2 - White Special Edition
Alphacool VPP Apex Pump
Alphacool Core Distro Plate 240 Right VPP/D5
Alphacool Eiszapfen 13mm HardTube compression fitting 90° rotatable G1/4 for Acryl/Brass tubes - 4pcs Set Deep Black
Alphacool Eiszapfen L-connector rotatable G1/4 AG to G1/4 IG - 4pcs Set Deep Black
Alphacool Eiszapfen screw plug G1/4 - 6pcs Set Deep Black
Alphacool Eiszapfen extension 20mm G1/4 outer thread to G1/4 inner thread - deep black
Alphacool Eisrohr 13/10mm Acryl (PMMA) HardTube satin 80cm - 4pcs
Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-N RTX 3080 Founders Edition with Backplate
Alphacool Eiszapfen extension G1/4 outer thread to G1/4 inner thread - deep black
EK Water Blocks EK-CryoFuel Solid premixed fluid, Cloud White - 1000ml
Alphacool Rise Aurora 120mm Fan White (120x120x25mm)
Alphacool Core 6x 4-pin PWM/DRGB splitter with SATA power connector

The one component I was really excited to see was the 240mm Core Distro Plate. Now this will sit to the side of the motherboard tray with a 240 radiator behind it, along with two of Alphacools Aurora Fans.

With the parts now here I can start making some progress, the first job is to get the top-mounted radiator and fans installed.

With the top radiator installed, things are tight, really tight, especially to get the rear fan installed, its actually just slightly trapped by the top radiator but it doesn't prevent the fan from spinning. However, I can see a problem with being able to connect up the ports in this configuration, but I will get the side radiator and distro in place to see how it looks, if there is then a problem, I will swap the 360 around so that the ports are to the rear and drop the rear-mounted case fan.

Cre8 Modding

Okay, so I have run into a few problems with how I wanted to set out the Y40. Some of this is specific to the cooling hardware I want to use from Alphacool, and some is down to the design of the Y40. I wouldn't say limitations as such but the case in terms of space for water cooling in certain applications is a little limited.

For example, if I install the top 360 radiator with the outlet ports to the rear of the case, then the rear case fan obstructs access to the ports as there isn't enough height to the case.

With them to the front, and if I install the side radiator with the ports to the top, then they are blocked slightly by the top radiator and fans for a straight run out. The only way to have the side radiator clear the top 30mm radiator and fans, is to mod the case by drilling now mounting holes for the side radiator. Otherwise, the radiator has to be mounted with the ports to the bottom.

The pictures below show the modified mounting solution, it's a shame Hyte didn't make the mounting holes longer for more adjustment. For the top of the radiator to be mounted, luckily I had an Alphacool pump mount spare and I used this to secure the top of the radiator. I then added extra screws into the 140mm mounting holes with spacers.

With the additional holes and the radiator flipped, it now clears the top radiator.

In order to get all the radiator fittings accessible, I had to change the original configuration. Luckily I had a ST30 45mm radiator on hand and so I swapped out the dual rad configuration for a single thicker one. Again this threw up some issues, with the radiator as far forward as it would go, with the Alphacool fans installed, the rear fan blades catch on the top fans. In order to overcome this I have swapped out the white fans for some be quiet! Light Wings. There is a slight difference in thickness, but its enough so that the rear fan does not catch on the top one.

Movig on and overcoming the issues, it was time to fit the RTX 3080FE. I have had the Alphacool backplate power coated in white to match.

With the card ready it was time to install it and the distro plate and start tubing things up. Space is still tight to get some nice runs for the distro in and out radiator ports but it's better than it was with the side radiator, fans, and then the distro block attached to the front.

So now it's time to get the rest tubed up and I've got a set of white and black extensions coming, kindly supplied by CableMod. Il post another update when they get here, it may be a while as they are currently renovating I believe orders are delayed.

Up to now then, a bit gutted, its not turning out as imagined, but hey, sometimes builds don't but I am sure it will still look amazing when its finished :)

@Cre8Modding