Waterblock for RTX 2070 super Gigabyte gaming OC 3X

Thomas

Hi,
Is there a suitable Waterblock for my Gigabyte RTX 2070 super gaming OC 3X (GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GD)?
Thanks in advance

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
We have 5 cooler for this card:

Thomas

I ordered the Eisblock aurora plexi GPX-N #11738 a month ago but this one does not fit my card. Its suitable for the gigabyte RTX 2070 super gaming OC (GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GC). But not for my RTX 2070 super gaming OC 3X (GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GD) since the PCB Layout is different on my card.
Maybe the new cooler #12984 is compatible ?

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Well the block (12984) fits the 8GD version but you need to modify the card and we do not recommend it if you can not solder. The problem is the 3PIN RGB header which is plased above the condensators beside the power plug. This needs to be removed but it is at your own risk.

Thomas

This one is the RGB header I suppose ?
20200511_125859_resized.jpg

Do i also have to remove the header for the Fans on the other side of the card?
20200511_130732.jpg
I am totally aware of the risk.

Thomas

Since i have plenty experience in soldering, i think i'll give it a shot :).
GPU's are so cheap these day's anyway .. (irony off).
Keep up the great Support!! Thanks alot.

Weapon

I ordered the Eisblock aurora plexi GPX-N #11738 a month ago but this one does not fit my card. Its suitable for the gigabyte RTX 2070 super gaming OC (GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GC). But not for my RTX 2070 super gaming OC 3X (GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GD) since the PCB Layout is different on my card.
Maybe the new cooler #12984 is compatible ?

So, it's compatible or not? I didn't understood your answer. I have one (GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GD).

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Well the block (12984) fits the 8GD version but you need to modify the card and we do not recommend it if you can not solder. The problem is the 3PIN RGB header which is plased above the condensators beside the power plug. This needs to be removed but it is at your own risk.
Here you go :)

Ghost666Ghost

Since i have plenty experience in soldering, i think i'll give it a shot :).
GPU's are so cheap these day's anyway .. (irony off).
Keep up the great Support!! Thanks alot.
Did it work? I'm facing the same problems actually...
Looking forwars to your answer :)

thefipster

Hey guys, just wanted to add my 2 cents. I will have the same situation in a couple of weeks...

Wouldn't it be possible to remove the plastic mount with a heat gun (carefully of course!) and pliers. Afterwars cut down the pins.
Or does it need to be flush with the PCB?

Thanks to all for this thread, otherwise I would have bought an incompatible GPU Block... now it's just an incompatible graphics card with a work around... yay

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Wouldn't it be possible to remove the plastic mount with a heat gun (carefully of course!) and pliers. Afterwars cut down the pins.
Or does it need to be flush with the PCB?
You mean the header? The 3 Pin one? If yes i would prefer to solder it if you have expirience of course.

thefipster

Exactly, I meant the RGB header that is obstructing the water block.
I agree that desoldering the header is the cleanest way of doing it and I will go down that path ;)
Just thought that might be an alternative if someone doesn't want to desolder it.

By the way, I found a thread in another forum regarding the same topic. The OP removed the plastic part of the header and has bend down the pins by 90°. This way the cooler fits and the RGB port was still functional.

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
By the way, I found a thread in another forum regarding the same topic. The OP removed the plastic part of the header and has bend down the pins by 90°. This way the cooler fits and the RGB port was still functional.
This is very risky to do so. The card can be easily damaged :) But thank you for the information.

thefipster

Allright, the water block (#12984 - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Plexi GPX-N RTX 2070 Super Windforce) arrived and I did some testing and wanted to share the prelimanary results because something might be a bit odd and I don't know if this is normal or I'm to stupid to correctly mount the block.

Before we get started, I just wanted to point out that all the modification were done at my own risk. At this point I don't have any warranty anymore and if you follow these steps the same goes for you. Be careful and think about what you are doing. With that said, let's continue.

I disassembled my Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC 3X (GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GD) to mount the water block, and as discussed in this thread, the RGB header was in the way. I tried two ways of removing the RGB header:
1. I took some side cutters and just snipped the header off. Quick, easy and the block can be mounted.
2. After that I completly desoldered it, the block doesn't fit better, but the card looks nicer
After both modifications I tested the card and it was still working as expected.

Now the Block fits right... hmm not quite

There is a rather large gap between the block and GPU chip as well as the other chips as you can see in the following image.

IMG_20200821_221913 (3)_LI - Copy.jpg

The reason for the gap are the nuts of the water block. Take a look at the following images where I color coded the standoffs from the block and the corresponding holes of the graphics card:

IMG_20200821_214935 (2)_LI.jpg
IMG_20200822_095443 (2)_LI.jpg

The green markings are used to connect the genuine cooler.
The orange markings are used to connect the genuine backplate.

I noticed the orange standoffs are a bit higher than the green ones. The image shows a metal ruler lying on top of the orange standoffs showing a gap between the ruler and the green standoffs. This gap is about the same size as the gap between the block and the GPU chip.

IMG_20200822_094048 1 (2)_LI.jpg
IMG_20200821_222042 (2)_LI.jpg
As you can see, the orange standoffs are flush with the PCB but the green ones slightly hover above it, again about the same distance as the gap between block and GPU chip.

Now basically my main question is:
Is this by design, so when I screw it tight the chip is pulled towards the block to make proper contact, which also means the card will be bend?
If not, I could probably just remove the orange standoffs and only use the green ones to connect the block. The original cooler was only connected with the green ones as well.

But hey since this is my first assembly of a GPU water block, I guess better ask first

Attachments

• IMG_20200822_095443 (2)_LI.jpg
    IMG_20200822_095443 (2)_LI.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Metropolis34

Support
Staff member
Hi there, thank you for asking first before getting the block installed. It looks like you have got wrong spacers. Please write an email to info@alphacool.com so we can send you some new ones to replace them.