XFX 7900XT merc 310 high junction temperature

DirtyAlpaca

TLDR december 2023: get yourself a Kryosheet 25x25mm or PTM7950.
The Kryosheet fixed every problem for me and others. Enjoy.

Dear Alphacool community

I'm a watercooling enthusiast for over 7 years, but I cannot get my head around the following problem.
Waterblock Eisblock aurora acryl
Graphic card 7900xt Merc310

I have noticed a temperature problem on my card after swapping over to the waterblock.

On the stock cooler I had a delta of 15.
With the waterblock it varies from 40 to 50, with a max of 95 degrees celcius seen in gaming.
The card is running stock, no overclocks.

hwinfoxfx7900xtmerc.png

I have removed the card from my build to check all the screws for an acceptable tension. Reseated and repasted the block.
Fixed the center 4x screws clockwise as written in the manual, eventhough diagonal feels more logic.
alphacool_clockwise.png

I have this idea that the PCB is slightly bend by the waterblock. The bend is right above the core. Where the 1mm thermal pads are located on the memory. This way the waterblock doesn't cover the center of the die in my opinion.
This bulge or bend only happens after tightning the PCB down to the waterblock.

(CLICK PHOTO FOR BIG VIEW)
IMG_20230519_090553.jpg

IMG_20230519_093626.jpg

The PCB
IMG_20230517_162122.jpg

IMG_20230517_162154.jpg

What would you suggest Alphacool?

Best regards
Edit1: updated mm of pads to correct measurements
Edit2: updated hyperlink of waterblock after Alphacool website changes

Last edited:

Vanzin

Support
Staff member

DirtyAlpaca

Hi,

if you have used 1,5mm pads, you have used the wrong thermal pads. Please use the included thermal pads and place them as written in the manual. Included are 1mm pads for the front and 3mm pads for the backside.

If you have done it and you have still the same problems send us please photos from the imprints on the thermal pads and paste, so that we can check it.
Dear VANZIN, Thank you for replying to my thread.

I have used the included 1mm pads (blue sticker). It was a mistake of me to write the wrong mm in my first post.

Everything is placed 100% correct and I confirmed that after opening it up again. I am willing to open up the block again forr a third time, so I can share some pictures of all the taken steps. Hopefully, that way, we can find the problem together.

I'll update the thread with pictures later on.

Kind greetings

Last edited:

DirtyAlpaca

Dear Vanzin

I made some time this evening to disassmble the card after the kids went to bed. 🙄

*click the picture for a larger view*
First I removed the backplate ofcourse.
All seems fine.
IMG_20230524_194751.jpg

Here's a closer look
IMG_20230524_194950.jpg

Next up, removed the PCB of the block. Thermal padding 1mm ;) placed correctly. Unfortunately they don't like being disassembled again..
IMG_20230524_195523.jpg

A closer look of the thermal grease spreading
IMG_20230524_195532.jpg

A wiped of die
IMG_20230524_201212.jpg

-- I assembled again with Kryonaut paste this time, but that didn't make any difference into the temperatures.
Stock test during game
stock settings.png

Another test, pushing the card slightly more with 15% power limit unlocked for testing purpose. Reaches max temperature wall.
400w 15% PL.png

The bend only appears after locking down the 4 screws around the core. I can only assume this is the reasoning of my problem here. 😔

Awaiting your expertise.

Best regards

N.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Hi,

the imprints on the DIE and thermal pads seems fine, so I can´t really say what the problem is here exactly. I will check it with the devolepment team. Maybe they can see or find something.

Fredibob

Hi,
Not sure if it is ok to post in this thread, but my problem looks similar so I thought it would be appropriate. If not I will just delete my post here.
I just installed my GPU block for my XFX AMD RADEON RX 7900 XT (reference design) and got the same problem with the Hot Spot temperature.
I already repasted two times and the imprints also looked fine.

When I run my GPU @354 Watts the GPU temperature peaks at 53°C and Hot-Spot peaks at 98°C
With the original air cooler Hot Spot would peak at aroung 80°C

Zetrol

Just out of curiosity, is the graphics card installed in a horizontal or vertical orientation? If horizontal, do you have any sort of sag support installed ?

DirtyAlpaca

Just out of curiosity, is the graphics card installed in a horizontal or vertical orientation? If horizontal, do you have any sort of sag support installed ?
Unsure who you are asking, but I'll answer since I'm the OP.

The card is running horizontal with a GPU support. Even though it didn't matter, because I ran a test without any support out of curiosity and that resulted the same.

Patiently waiting for @Vanzin to report back before asking Reddit.

Last edited:

DirtyAlpaca

@Vanzin

Hello dear

Have you received anything back from their end? Maybe I should open a support ticket/rma instead of asking publicly on these forums.

Best regards

DirtyAlpaca

I switched to Liquid metal. Now my hot spot peaks at ~70°C with Water peaking at 36°C with the GPU @355Watt
Thank you for sharing your idea., But I'm not going to use any conductive substances on my card.

I still have this thought that the card is bent and the contact is poor between block and die.

Unfortunately little to no response from Alphacool's end.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
@DirtyAlpaca

I am sorry for the late answer. I am still waiting for a answer from the development department what the problem could be and how to fix it. As soon as I get any information I will let you know

direstorm

I am also having the same issue with the hotspot. Also have an XFX 7900xtx. I have disassembled the waterblock and repasted but the issue still persists. I'm starting to get the impression that the IHS is too thick considering the quick temperature swings.

Last edited:

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
Hi @direstorm

Could you please tell us, as DirtyAlpaca has shown, if your GPU is also affected with the same Hot Hotspot_GCD? Let me know

DirtyAlpaca

Just a quick update for the people interested in the results.
I'm still awaiting the pads. It's most likely sent in an untracked envelope, but luckily we are neighboring countries.

The results will be posted ASAP after receiving.

Greetings.

Edit 22/06/2023
Have received the shipment. Will try tomorrow morning. Brussels timezone.

Last edited: