XFX 7900XT merc 310 high junction temperature

roko71

I had the same problem with my Asrock PG 7900xtx, high delta between core and hotspot. Hotspot was above 100 in no time. After repasting and torquing it down with .4nm, problem solved(still way to hot though). Since the rest of the system was watercooled i bought a Alphacool Core block for Asrock since EK was no go for Asrock. It took a bit finding right torque values, i used .4nm again for the GPU core and .3 for the million other tiny screws. Now it is hotspot 70-80 degrees at full load(450watt with 3100Mhz) with 58 on the core(2x360 and 1x240radx54mm. I find that it is extremely important to check pad thickness and correct placement and then use a torque driver. I also torqued it progressivly .1 to .2 to .3nm etc. My only gripe with Alphacool is the restrictive flow, small diameter inlets on there blocks. I went from 250 L/H to 150 L/H, however perfomance is top notch.

Oh, and do put support under waterblock, i do not think Alphacool ever put their blocks on a scale before they sell them. It weighs a ton.

DumSkidderik

I don't have a torque screwdriver, but about the same time i posted my last comment i gave it another go with literally only screwing the 4 center screws in until the springs are compressed. They're very loose. It's been running with a Delta of about 15c now, which is a new Best. I still won't ever get another AMD or Alphacool product, but maybe it'll help some of you. And lots of Noctua NH-2. It's practically drowning in it....

Zetrol

I don't have a torque screwdriver, but about the same time i posted my last comment i gave it another go with literally only screwing the 4 center screws in until the springs are compressed. They're very loose. It's been running with a Delta of about 15c now, which is a new Best. I still won't ever get another AMD or Alphacool product, but maybe it'll help some of you. And lots of Noctua NH-2. It's practically drowning in it....
Will be interesting to see how it ages for you because my temperatures have been increasing quite a lot in just one year (around 15-20c increase on hotspot now). Using the provided AlphaCool paste, noctua wouldn't work at all for me (probably used to little) ;)

Will move over to KryoSheet when I have energy to empty the loop for the 6-7th time :D

Just installed the bykski block with ptm 7950 on my XFX 7900 xtx. Results are attached for anybody interested. First pic is after 20 minutes of idle, 2nd pic is after 15 minute stress test on 3d mark. Before I installed the block I was getting 60c idle with 70c hotspot temps and 80c+ with 100c hotspot temps under load.

1000001837.png
1000001838.png

Tader82

Well I have the XFX 310 RX 7900 XT and I'm having the same issues. The 22.9k scores are on the AIB air cooler and the 21 and 20k are on the Alpha cool AIO. The T-Delta is CRAZY 50+ degrees. The 20 was the first install and boy was that a fun night, the puter freaked right out like I had killed the mem, crashing with any moving video, wouldn't even load a game or benchmark. I was getting mad and so I walked away for the night and the next morning drove to SA, TX for 4 days to help little bro out. When I came back I said hell I'll try again and turned it on as is and it just worked (/SMH), but the temps were crazy and it throttled like mad (but no more mem issues /shrug). Tonight I tried some of y'alls points about torque and it did a little better, I used the sausage and dot method for thermal paste, but no go. We'll see how the Kryosheet and Artic thermal pads go. I got the Thermal pads as the alpha cool ones are falling apart and have hardened even more than they were when fresh, took some pressure to put a fingernail mark in one of the mem pads.

All testing is done in a room at 22*C.

Sorry for the google photo links my photos are to big to share direct apparently lol
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rSrV8C22EdL4qm4Y8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/s6dmbHjMzZoQh76H9

Zetrol

Well I have the XFX 310 RX 7900 XT and I'm having the same issues. The 22.9k scores are on the AIB air cooler and the 21 and 20k are on the Alpha cool AIO. The T-Delta is CRAZY 50+ degrees. The 20 was the first install and boy was that a fun night, the puter freaked right out like I had killed the mem, crashing with any moving video, wouldn't even load a game or benchmark. I was getting mad and so I walked away for the night and the next morning drove to SA, TX for 4 days to help little bro out. When I came back I said hell I'll try again and turned it on as is and it just worked (/SMH), but the temps were crazy and it throttled like mad (but no more mem issues /shrug). Tonight I tried some of y'alls points about torque and it did a little better, I used the sausage and dot method for thermal paste, but no go. We'll see how the Kryosheet and Artic thermal pads go. I got the Thermal pads as the alpha cool ones are falling apart and have hardened even more than they were when fresh, took some pressure to put a fingernail mark in one of the mem pads.

All testing is done in a room at 22*C.

Sorry for the google photo links my photos are to big to share direct apparently lol
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rSrV8C22EdL4qm4Y8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/s6dmbHjMzZoQh76H9
Hello,
Sad to hear, please make sure that the 3mm thermal pads are correctly placed on the backside (M & N)
(Not on the caps! but next to them, See page 10 in this thread)

1712066855469.png

DumSkidderik

Since my post almost 3 weeks ago, the card has consistently stayed at around 90c max, i think the solution is to drown it in thermal paste and barely screw in the screws. Works for me, GL fellas.

Tader82

XFX RX 7900 XT 310 Merc Stock Bios and AMD settings.
I have made it work for now, will see how it holds up for a couple of months. Hoping the temps don't creep back up like it does with the paste.
image_2024-04-07_032012505.png

So using Thermal Grizzly's KryoSheet (29x25x0,2mm), ARCTIC TP-3 Thermal Pads 1mm thick, and the Alphacool back pads (may change them out to a full cover pad on the GPU die like XFX had it). Highest temp over time in a 5 hour run in HellDivers 2 around 70*C with a 19*C-ish delta, at these temps I'm happy. I don't think the pump has enough flow and pressure to really keep the mem junction temps under 70*C for long runs. I have seen over 3Ghz on a 20% under volt but she wasn't stable for more than an hour and I haven't tried hunting for the stable under Volt yet. The pic is on the stock XFX Bios settings for the 7900 XT. AS for "torqueing" the screws I just ran them down till they stopped (I'm talking feathering the screwdriver with thumb and index fingers) and then gave them a gentle 1/8th turn more.

Here is the Idle temps.

image_2024-04-07_033809116.png