XFX 7900XT merc 310 high junction temperature

kalima

I recommend to all of you, of all the pastes that I have used, that you use pastes with a lower degree of viscosity (difficult to apply), which from what I have tried is more difficult for it to become liquid and move from its place, without pumping paste. Additionally, look for it to have a high thermal capacity. Although you can all continue using the ones you want, if you want to keep trying blindly.
Thank for this,
I'm new user of eiswolf 2 with Merc310 and have 110hotspot temperature (GPU at 52 degrees). I just order this thermal paste Thermalright TF9 and also Kooling Monster KOLD-01, look also low viscosity , i hope this can resolve my issue. already tried Artic, MX6, nothing work.

RedSays

Thank for this,
I'm new user of eiswolf 2 with Merc310 and have 110hotspot temperature (GPU at 52 degrees). I just order this thermal paste Thermalright TF9 and also Kooling Monster KOLD-01, look also low viscosity , i hope this can resolve my issue. already tried Artic, MX6, nothing work.

I am installing the PTM 7950 today will report back, should eliminate the possibility for pump-out.

Andy16v

Last week I got some new 3mm thermal pads, cut to size and installed in the correct place, thanks to @Zetrol for pointing that out. Built the system back up again and carried out the same tests. Looking at 48ºC on the core, and 78-80ªC on the hotspot in Time Spy Extreme. A huge improvement on the 110ºC I had originally, still not as low as I would like it, but I am happy to live with it like this now.

I can fully recommend the Kryosheet over any thermal paste on this card, that made a huge difference.

wdodsTu.jpg

RedSays

Reporting in, PTM 7950 was a massive fix. Ran timespy a bunch of times to heat cycle it, never got above 66C at the hotspot. Strongly recommend trying it anybody who finds this.

Last edited:

LaurisXTX

Almost same issue with thermalright tf9 for me (100degres and not 110) I just ordered ptm7950 is my last hope
How much thermal paste did you put on it? That also happened to me the first time I put on the ThermalRight TF9. After applying a thin coat, after a few days the hot spot rose to 100 degrees or more. The second time, which was about 3 months ago, I didn't skimp on the amount of thermal paste. Because as I was investigating, the GCD is a few millimeters higher than the MCD, even so the GCD is not "completely straight" it has a small curve (I don't know if it happens with all the silicon manufactured with all the graphics cards), and If we put a thin layer it happens that it does not generate good thermal transfer with the water block. This time taking into account those variations of the GCD and MCD, I did not apply a thin layer and spread it. This time I put a fairly thick layer in the middle of the GCD horizontally. Leaving the MCDs with a small thin layer of paste and from there, spreading a little excess of the GCD towards the MCDs, but leaving that "FAT" layer on the GCD. So that when you place the block it moves and spreads evenly. Don't forget, I'm giving you some test shots after 3 months of use:

Captura de pantalla 2024-01-30 001403.png

Captura de pantalla 2024-01-30 002247.png

Captura de pantalla 2024-01-30 003004.png

Captura de pantalla 2024-01-30 003523.png
In this test the hotspot rose a little more due to the fans stopping. because they are automatic to the temperature reached by the CPU, not the GPU. And then the GPU rises a little but by the time the CPU rises the temperature of the GPU also drops.

20240130_001202.jpg

When playing, it never reaches the hotspot temperature of 65ºC. It is maintained between 55-62ºC.

For those still having problems, I suspect it may be due to poor design of the XFX graphics. That something in it makes bad contact with the water block or that it does not have as much compatibility with that block as is believed. Because alphacool blocks are very good. I have been working with alphacool for a long time. I have no problems. Yes, there are others that could be better.

Last edited:

kalima

For those still having problems, I suspect it may be due to poor design of the XFX graphics. That something in it makes bad contact with the water block or that it does not have as much compatibility with that block as is believed. Because alphacool blocks are very good. I have been working with alphacool for a long time. I have no problems. Yes, there are others that could be better.
Just installed PTM7950, same issue :( .
So yes maybe issue with this XFX Graphics.
For me probably last AMD Card. I will play with downclock 2100mhz for waiting until nvidia 5000 release.

e6600

w2eTO2u_d.webp

Z938yo9_d.webp

after remounting twice before with ptm, stock thermal pads and “hand tight,” 1nm torque and having no luck with hotspot temps, i tried straight putty (no pads except backplate), ptm and 0.5nm torque and finally i have max 80c hotspot and 60c core (20c delta) @ 400W

vircotto

Alphacool clearly messed up the proof is the documentation that has no mention of torque values. I appreciate everyone working to find solutions and posting what works to get around the issues with this water block.

I've tried hand tight with a ton of thermal paste and then with kryosheet. The kryosheet is the closest I have gotten almost reaching stock performance. I have a torque screwdriver arriving today so I can have accurate measurements and will start with 1.5nm and try up and down from there.

vircotto

I ended up going with 0.3 nm of torque and I'm now able to reach clocks that I was with the stock cooler!
I used the 29x25 Kryosheet and some high temp tape around the die to protect the card.
Junction temp delta looks great!
Thanks DirtyAlpaca for starting this thread and for everyone's contributions!

Attachments

• Back-to-stock.JPG
    Back-to-stock.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 17
  • GPU-hotspot.JPG
    GPU-hotspot.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 20
  • .3-nm.jpg
    .3-nm.jpg
    868.2 KB · Views: 17

vircotto

Realizef i have a delta of over 30 degrees on my XTX ( even saw 65 and 101...) , will try new pads and kryosheet aswel ....
Get a torque screwdriver you will need it. My torque values are .3 nm I saw others here are 1.5nm and maybe someone at 1.0?

You need to be able to measure torque on the 4 GPU screws and then check the deltas for different torque values.

Without one I was just guestimating and after 5 times of guestimating with the kryosheet no luck.

Ghostrider.1127

Get a torque screwdriver you will need it. My torque values are .3 nm I saw others here are 1.5nm and maybe someone at 1.0?

You need to be able to measure torque on the 4 GPU screws and then check the deltas for different torque values.

Without one I was just guestimating and after 5 times of guestimating with the kryosheet no luck.
Already have few , from the workshop

Made an account just to post this. Not to revive a dead thread but I want to thank everyone in this thread for how thorough and detailed the information has been. I've been convinced to lean away from the Eisblock for my xfx 7900xtx and go for the bykski instead. Going to be using ptm7950 in place of normal thermal compound as well. I will post results here if anyone is interested.

TheCrow3333

I´am so disappointed with this alphacool product. I have an Sapphire 7900 XTX and demounted it about 20 times. I even installed the ptm7950. Still my best Hotspot-Temperatues are 90-95 degrees. That is simply unsatisfiying. I had several alphacool cooler on different graphiccards before, but this on is just not right. I´ve been looking to the bykski cooler too, but that is another 170 € for an cooler...

inspire

I´am so disappointed with this alphacool product. I have an Sapphire 7900 XTX and demounted it about 20 times. I even installed the ptm7950. Still my best Hotspot-Temperatues are 90-95 degrees. That is simply unsatisfiying. I had several alphacool cooler on different graphiccards before, but this on is just not right. I´ve been looking to the bykski cooler too, but that is another 170 € for an cooler...
What are your temps with the stock sapphire cooler? With my stock xfx cooler I also reached 100 degrees … so perhaps some gpu chips are flawed?

What are your temps with the stock sapphire cooler? With my stock xfx cooler I also reached 100 degrees … so perhaps some gpu chips are flawed?
I was experiencing the same thing with my stock xfx 7900xtx cooler. I believe the temps have worsened over time so my best guess is pump out possibly combined with poor thermal compound application from the factory. We will see when I pull the stock cooler off in a couple weeks when my block arrives.

TheCrow3333

My stock cooler temps are 89 C° at normal Benchmarking. They are even that better, that I installed the stock air cooling. The delta between hotspot and gpu temp is about 15-20 C°. Starting an GPU intensive Progamm, does not have such an high impact on the temperature as with watercooling. The only issue is that the temperature after 3 hours of gaming reaches 100 C° hot Spot and 89 C° Gpu Temp.
BTW.: my overall watertemp was 35 C° at max with prime95 and furmark on top after 2 hours.

DumSkidderik

I've given up. I just let it run at 110c if it wants, doesn't appear to throttle so who gives a damn. It'll be obsolete in a year or two anyway.
Bad card made worse by the eisblock.