XFX 7900XT merc 310 high junction temperature

inspire

oh wow thanks for the hints guys! I'm also in the club of annoyed customers... already bought expensive PTM and equipped my gpu with it but still: 110°C hotspot temperature... @Vanzin have you been able to reproduce it in the meantime? I mean everyone here followed the official guideline but still there are so many issues. I don't want to fry my gpu over and over again when checking if repasting helped. Are there in the meantime different revisions of the water block to resolve this issue?

Last edited:

inspire

argh okay I'm fed up now. Tried thermal paste 3 times and now also 3 times PTM (which is damn expensive). Even tried with different torque each time and the imprint always looks good to me... I'm giving up and will return this thing if no real solution shows up out of surprise. My setup uses hard tubing so repasting everytime is a huge pain in the ass. I must say I'm really disappointed overall...

Andy16v

argh okay I'm fed up now. Tried thermal paste 3 times and now also 3 times PTM (which is damn expensive). Even tried with different torque each time and the imprint always looks good to me... I'm giving up and will return this thing if no real solution shows up out of surprise. My setup uses hard tubing so repasting everytime is a huge pain in the ass. I must say I'm really disappointed overall...

I am in the same boat currently. I have hotspot temps 90-100ºC even from short benchmarks. I'm not feeling great about having to strip down a hardline system and hoping for an improvement by re-pasting or using (expensive) thermal pads that may or may not work.

I'm thinking of returning it for a different block at this point.

inspire

@Andy16v I did the same now. But while doing so I made another interesting observation: I put back the XFX card in its original state with the original cooler on it and surprisingly it also had the 110°C issue immediately :O This puzzled me a bit and I ordered a Asus 790xtx (TUF OC) and I just tried it: the hotspot temperature is fine with this one. So I believe it's an issue with some GPUs and the XFX one is affected. I will see what the XFX support responds to my ticket... but perhaps the GPU is at fault and not the water block...

Andy16v

My hotspot had a peak of 85ºC for the stock cooler after 10 minutes of Furmark so for me it has definitely got worse with this water block on it.

IcyStorm

After many ups and downs, i received a replacement of my ASRock XTX Taichi AIO block, i would like to say that i switch to PTM 7950 and i am happy for now -

@ 465W - 88 Hot spot / 69C board. That is for first time for more then 1 year of issues...

- Taichi fans are crap, the first one start "knocking" after 2 months of usage...
- My first waterblock AIO had to be replaced in 5 months of usage due to poor quality... (chipping and noisy pump)
- After i tested 3 pastes - the best one was Noctua. H2.. but yet, paste pump out was a fact shortly after. (absolute nightmare)
- I am not using the fans provided by AC, i am using Noctua as they are faaar better...*

So with my second block from Alphacool and PTM 7950 everything works really as it should be.

**My personal opinion is blocks are low quality and i am not happy from that fact. Quality control lacks...Even with my second AIO, i received it with another defect...but i am sick of waiting and loosing tones of time to fix things...

Zepticon

Registered just to mention it seems I have the same issue with the Nitro+ version of the waterblock. I've used the same loop for a 2080ti and 6900xt and thought I needed to upgrade the pump and radiator (previously 1x 280 radiator, now 2x 280 ones) but the result is pretty much the same: junction temperature over 100C, hitting 110C on cyberpunk's benchmark, but with older games it stays under 60C (probably wouldn't even notice there was a problem if I didn't install cyberpunk just to see how the RT support is doing on linux). Bought a torque screwdriver and both the Kryosheet (have clapton tape) and PTM (in case I don't manage to get the Kryosheet in place) to give it a try and will report the results.
How did you measure the junction temp in Linux?

Andy16v

So I have decided to go down the route of trying out a Kryosheet. I have one arriving tomorrow, so this evening I have drained my loop and stripped the card down. I will share some pictures in case it is of help to anyone, or is someone spots something amiss.

Firstly I ran Timespy Extreme to record a 'before' result. Hotspot hit 101ºC (Ambient approx 19-20ªC and coolant temp approx 25ºC).
oHgHYYI.jpg

I could not see any signs of the PCB being bent.
JmXgVff.jpg

Backplate removed followed by block. I am fairly confident my initial installation was all correct, all thermal pads have made good contact and are in the correct locations.
NaJ4vM3.jpg

ZchSdSE.jpg

Thermal paste shots. It's quite hard to see exactly what the spread was like, although it doesn't appear to be too bad. I used MX-6 paste. Some areas did look thinner than others.
8Jr7RSW.jpg

0rDxzZf.jpg

I will report back tomorrow once the Kryosheet is fitted, with some much improved results I hope. Repeated stripping down of a hardline loop is not something I want to be doing.

DumSkidderik

I registered in hope my findings can help out:

I was having the same problems as you guys; 100 - 105c GPC temps, with GPU Core being around 50-55c.
I tried several re-pastes with Noctua NH-1 to no avail, and then it struck me: Maybe i mounted the backplate pads wrong and that put enough pressure to warp the PCB?

Sure enough, i placed the thermal pads slightly off, see the attached photo.
Red indicates where i placed them (because i didn't pay attention to the manual), the the yellow is obviosly where they go.
I didn't even remove the board from the cooler, just tightened down the 4 screws around the GPU die as hard as I could by hand, then moved the backplate pads to where they should go.

Hotspot is now 58-60c in every game, unless I turn on raytracing in Cyberpunk, that'll still get it to 90c.
GPU around 45 - 50c with my fans at an in-audible speed.

Hope this helps anyone.

Attachments

• 7900XTX pads.jpg
    7900XTX pads.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 18

Zepticon

Does anyone have an ideas on the quality of the heatpads bundled with the block? Are there "better" options available if cost is "not a concern"?

Zetrol

So I have decided to go down the route of trying out a Kryosheet. I have one arriving tomorrow, so this evening I have drained my loop and stripped the card down. I will share some pictures in case it is of help to anyone, or is someone spots something amiss.

Firstly I ran Timespy Extreme to record a 'before' result. Hotspot hit 101ºC (Ambient approx 19-20ªC and coolant temp approx 25ºC).
oHgHYYI.jpg

I could not see any signs of the PCB being bent.

Backplate removed followed by block. I am fairly confident my initial installation was all correct, all thermal pads have made good contact and are in the correct locations.
NaJ4vM3.jpg

Thermal paste shots. It's quite hard to see exactly what the spread was like, although it doesn't appear to be too bad. I used MX-6 paste. Some areas did look thinner than others.

I will report back tomorrow once the Kryosheet is fitted, with some much improved results I hope. Repeated stripping down of a hardline loop is not something I want to be doing.
Your thermal pads are NOT in the right location.
The thermal pads on the back should not sit on the caps(!), they should be next to them.
Above setup will bend the PCB in that way that the big frame-like thermal pad behind the GPU-chipset won't create the needed pressure towards the waterblock at the front. See "M" & "N" below, did the same mistake myself at the beginning that's why I noticed.

I would suggest that you buy new 3mm pads and try again.

1705596976120.png

Last edited:

Andy16v

Your thermal pads are NOT in the right location.
The thermal pads on the back should not sit on the caps(!), they should be next to them.
Above setup will bend the PCB in that way that the big frame-like thermal pad behind the GPU-chipset won't create the needed pressure towards the waterblock at the front. See "M" & "N" below, did the same mistake myself at the beginning that's why I noticed.

I would suggest that you buy new 3mm pads and try again.

Thank you for pointing that out, that's very helpful! I will order some and correct that mistake. It almost seemed so obvious that the pads should go on the caps for some reason, I didn't look close enough at the picture.

The good news is, since fitting the Kryosheet, the hotspot temps are greatly improved, now peaking at a max of 85ºC in benchmarks, although hovering around 78-82ªC on average. Perhaps if I sort these thermal pads it might help with that by a few more degrees.

Slightly annoying that I've got to drain my loop again, but I feel a bit better now that there's been a good improvement.

inspire

hey!
great to know that your hotspot temps increased that much! :)
just fyi: when I tested my setup multiple times I knew that it was easy to misplace the thermal pads and I double checked and triple checked that... without effect. However as also my stock 7900xtx fan that I put back on the gpu afterwards had the 110°C issue I was really surprised :O (I never tested the stock fan before mounting the water block...)
I believe some XFX gpus have a general heat issue. You simply find too many articles about this GPU on google...
what supports my thesis is this: I now bought an asus TUF gaming 7900xtx OC and an ekwb water block (sorry alphacool....) and BOOM: the hotspot temp never exceeds 70°C :O and 3dmark benchmark is also improved. so the issue is solved for me as well now.... it was just a huge hurdle overall.

Zetrol

Yeah, it's really annoying to take the loop apart to change/adjust these things, it's definitely inconsistent result each time even tough it feels like I do exactly the same every time. Looking at the temps it is time for me to replace the thermal paste, not even 1 year old paste that has increased the hotspot with about 9-10ºC (Using the provided Alphacool subszero paste which worked best for me compared to Noctua NH1).
Will try Kryosheet this time :)

@Andy16v No problem :) Hopefully you get better result, I will post my thermal paste replacement with Kryosheet :)

I will for sure skip AMD GPU next generation so I can get a graphics card that will have blocks from EK. I miss my waterblocked 3080 in that sense, just replaced the loop fluid once a year, didnt have to touch the pads or thermal paste at all. Compared to my 7900XTX that I have adjusted the waterblock and thermal paste 4times, soon to be 5 :)

DumSkidderik

hey!
great to know that your hotspot temps increased that much! :)
just fyi: when I tested my setup multiple times I knew that it was easy to misplace the thermal pads and I double checked and triple checked that... without effect. However as also my stock 7900xtx fan that I put back on the gpu afterwards had the 110°C issue I was really surprised :O (I never tested the stock fan before mounting the water block...)
I believe some XFX gpus have a general heat issue. You simply find too many articles about this GPU on google...
what supports my thesis is this: I now bought an asus TUF gaming 7900xtx OC and an ekwb water block (sorry alphacool....) and BOOM: the hotspot temp never exceeds 70°C :O and 3dmark benchmark is also improved. so the issue is solved for me as well now.... it was just a huge hurdle overall.
I had an Asus Strix 2080ti with an EK block before my 7900 XTX, and it had hotspots in the 90's with the backplate mounted and in the 50's with no backplate. It was a bad design from EK, where two of the screws securing the backplate were the same as the ones securing the pressure on the GPU core. It was impossible to get even pressure with the backplate on.

bassochist

i tested again today, after repasting 3 weeks ago with arctic mx6, after the repaste the hotspot did not get above 76 degrees c, with a delta not higher then 23 degrees c, full bore overclocked, 3 weeks later ran some benchmarks again same settings, and it reaches 110 degrees c hotspot again with a delta of almost 50 degrees c, there is just something wrong with block, i tried 7 different brands and types of thermal paste, mx6 performed the best, but it just doesn't stay into place with this block, when i use a bykski block none of these problems exist.

xitywampas

@Andy16v Looking at the thermal paste thickness. It doesn't seem like you guys are not getting good contact to me. I can't even see the die or water block the paste is still so thick. It looks like there is a gap. The paste should fill imperfections, not a gap. The die and block should make contact or something is creating a gap. Usually, it's the thermal pads. I've used a roller to thin mine down before when I didn't have the correct thickness. You must have some pressure between the die and the cooling plate. It cannot be a gap or you will have this happen. The reason some of you have good temperatures and they slowly rise over time is the paste contracting inside that gap and loses its density and contact in places. The paste should be as thin as possible while making good, even contact across the die. I've had this happen and I learned to test fit the block with the pads and cheap paste before final assembly. Once I'm sure the GPU core has good contact with the block I assemble everything. GPUs have variances that can't always be accounted for ahead of time. Sometimes you just have to play it by ear.

LaurisXTX

Hello everyone. On Saturday I received the Kryosheet from Thermal Grizzly. I started to take it apart and could see that the thermal paste I had applied the first time on the graphics card had moved excessively towards the edges of the DIE. In the end the problem with the excess hot spots was the thermal paste pumping. Because the GCD did not have thermal paste. Only the MCDs had thermal paste. Also, the thermal paste I had applied was very viscous and due to those excess hot spots, the thermal paste became almost liquid, it looked like water.

I cleaned everything and was able to verify that it is true that the MCDs are a few microns above the GCD. I tried to put the kryosheet but in the end I didn't see the installation so clearly (because it is electrically conductive). It also did not have yellow electrical protection tape or protective paint to protect the microcapacitors. In the end I did not dare to install it because of the risk it entails.

In the end I decided to use a thermal paste that I had bought a few weeks ago and that had great thermal conductivity but was not as viscous as normal thermal paste. They are that type of paste that is thicker and more complicated to apply (the kind that you hit with the palette and tear it off every time you apply it). Well, I have hit the nail on the head with this type of pasta. I poured a large amount into the center of the GCD (the widest part of the GCD from edge to edge) and applied it with the included palette and stretched it from the center of the GCD to the top 3 MCD and from the GCD to the other three MCD . Leaving a thicker layer on the GCD and a normal to thin layer on the MCD. But focus more on leaving that thick layer on the GCD.

Then wipe off the excess thermal paste and try to mount it. Tighten with your fingers without using force with the screwdriver (as far as it can be screwed with your fingers without using force). I took it apart again to see how the thermal paste had spread and again cleaned the little excess paste from the edges of the DIE with precision tweezers. And now I finally installed the water block. Then mount the rest of the liquid cooling. In addition to larger ones, I upgraded the radiators by changing a 240x30 radiator for a 360x54mm radiator and a Corsair D5 pump.

Now the temperatures have improved noticeably. Thanks to having applied the thermal paste in this way (as I mentioned previously, focusing more on the GCD) and having chosen one with very low viscosity (the kind that is difficult to apply), but that does not look like stone. For example, ArticMX4 is very viscous. This way I have gotten temperatures in 3DMark in the "Directx ray tracing feature test" temperatures of:

Edge: 40ºC and Hotspot: 55-60ºC, repeating the test about 10 times. And similar temperatures in the “Port Royal” test. The critical point never exceeded 60ºC. "Previously, these tests passed the 60ºC border and the 100ºC hotspot on the GPU. And now things have changed."

Then in the game cyberpunk 2077 at 5120x1440 ultra without raytracing
Edge: 39ºC and Hotspot: 54ºC. About 50 minutes playing.

With Raytracing cyberpunk 2077 in the same configuration.
Edge: 40ºC and Hotspot: 56-58ºC. About 40 minutes playing.

View attachment 5623

View attachment 5624

View attachment 5625

Right now I am delighted with the result. It was a great success to have applied the thermal paste in this way. The thermal paste I used is Thermalright TF9 2.9Gr. I almost emptied everything. But it was worth it XD.

Hello everyone. Since my last post I haven't had any problems with pumping thermal paste. I still have the same temperatures of 55-61ºC in the hot spot and the edge with 35-40ºC, with a slight increase. With the thermal paste included in the "alphacool subzero" water block, a high viscosity is maintained, and with this I had the same problems as with other thermal pastes of the same type of viscosity. Instead, I solved all my previous 100-110ºC hot spot problems with thermal paste with a much lower viscosity range than other thermal pastes. The low viscosity thermal paste I used is Thermalright TF9. I recommend to all of you, of all the pastes that I have used, that you use pastes with a lower degree of viscosity (difficult to apply), which from what I have tried is more difficult for it to become liquid and move from its place, without pumping paste. Additionally, look for it to have a high thermal capacity. Although you can all continue using the ones you want, if you want to keep trying blindly.

This afternoon I will do tests and share them with you.

I hope to help someone. Thanks and greetings to all.

Last edited:

bassochist

Does anyone have an ideas on the quality of the heatpads bundled with the block? Are there "better" options available if cost is "not a concern"?
not good and not bad, they are very soft and fragile, i replaced them with gelid gp xtreme, because after taking of the block from the card 5 fricking times, because it can't keep the thermal paste in one place. a few pads where ripped to bits.