'Gainward Phantom, Phantom GS, Palit GameRock, GameRock OC RTX 3090, 3080 waterblocks'

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
@Goobak Hi, no problem. Just make a request in a separate post, write briefly what you have in mind & we will create a possible set-up for you. Quite a simple matter ;-)

Goobak

This block is marketed as part for custom loops. As in everybody has different needs/possibilities and according to those specs rest of bits like rads/fans/pumps/possible monitoring&control extras/maybe even something from looks area, in loop. Simplest example - if rad internal mount is considered, everybody has different pc cases in which different size rads can or cannot be mounted.
If you want something specific - suggest to ask for advises separately, and do specify as much details as possible. For example - what case you have, what rads it's possible to mount in it, if you want to cool also CPU with LC, and so on..
Ah. Bequiet901 with 6x push-pull 360 rad for cpu already (i9 10900k)... Fractal Design Celsius S36. If I could just add the waterblock to the loop it would be good, but no idea if it is enough. Purpose of my rig is VR simracing, which means hours of hammering both cpu and gpu nonstop. Can easy fit another 240 rad into the case, but on top position which is not optimal: lack of straight exhausts. And I absolutely, absolutely do not care about any visual shit like rgb, aligned posh tubes etc. Can be total MadMax combined with WH40k Orks. All I care about is efficiency.

My idea was getting a package like Eiswolf2, just with the block for Palit. But it looks like I have to search, study and pick up like one thousand of standards and parts... I know I sound like an idiot who wants others to do the research for him, but I have got barely 6 hours per week for racing and I would gladly save that time. So if there is something like working AIO solution where I can just change reference 360 block for Gamerock... I would love it.

Last edited:

church

From quick googling on FD celsius s36 3x120 rad AIO cooler with integrated pump on cpu block i see in it's specs listed "Radiator fittings use standard G 1/4" thread" (but on cpu block - unremovable), that's wonderful (as what's most of aftermarket fittings for custom LC loops use).
Pump in such kits is usually weak pressure wise .. but more or less might do. And if i already had such AIO, i'd probably reuse it aswell, instead of adding to purchase new cpu block with fittings, another pump with fittings and so on. Another important thing listed in specs - that while cpu block material is copper, rad is from aluminum.
3090 has very high TDP, it will produce 2-3x more heat then your cpu, even if overclocked.

Putting it all together, if you plan to reuse everything from that AIO cooler:
- I suggest to get extra rad (+fans) biggest you can fit and add to loop (in other place, don't stack rads one on top another).
- coolant that is marked as having corrosion inhibitors for use in loop with dissimilar metal parts in it (one of rads=alu, blocks and other rad and fittings - copper/brass/nickel plated). Normal water or coolant without additives against corrosion won't do;
- reservoir to ease filling/draining loop (worth to connect right before pump-block on it's inlet, as LC pumps should never run dry, as it may damage it's bearing)
- fittings & tubing to interconnect extra rad/res/cpu pump-block/orig rad
... and obviously gpu block, LOL

Feo69

Hello guys. Who can tell you about the width of the waterblock? I have a case Lian li 011 dynamic and I have doubts that the card will enter with a closed forged glass. I saw in the spec that the width is 12.2mm but I can’t figure it out the width with the tube inlet or not?

church

You can screw in fitting from any side in any configuration. Inlet on one side, outlet on other, or both on one or other side, if that is needed for extra clearance. Just bolt in stop fitting that comes in set from opposite side.
Just pay attention which is inlet and which is outlet for optimum cooling, which is marked by triangles for expected flow direction.

Varatesh

Just finished setting my RTX 3080 gamerock up. Worked fine with couple of exceptions:

1. Lack of plastic washers. I had to use third party nylon washers.

2. When the plugs on waterblock are fully screwed in (using provided Alphacool plastic tool) it almost completely chokes waterflow. Putting d5 pump to 100% or loosening plugs a tiny bit will fix this.

3. One of the screws for backplate did not fully fit through PCB. I skipped using that as the pressure mounting was not essential for mounting pressure.

Despite this, temps are good.

church

@Varatesh: regarding (1.) - double check. I almost thought so too, due them being very small and transparent. They actually were there in one of small plastic bags, but easy to not notice, seemingly not in that bag that on quick glance looked empty.

Varatesh

@Varatesh: regarding (1.) - double check. I almost thought so too, due them being very small and transparent. They actually were there in one of small plastic bags, but easy to not notice, seemingly not in that bag that on quick glance looked empty.

I checked. I had 2/4 listed on manual.

Ossio

Hello guys. Who can tell you about the width of the waterblock? I have a case Lian li 011 dynamic and I have doubts that the card will enter with a closed forged glass. I saw in the spec that the width is 12.2mm but I can’t figure it out the width with the tube inlet or not?
I'm not sure if you found the answer, but it will not fit only vertically you need a bracket for that, unfortunately for a few mm

Junglst

Hi all

Have just ordered this for my Gainward 3080 Phantom.

Are you guys following the PDF for thermal pad placement or exchanging the LR22 thickness up to 2mm / 1.5mm strips?

Current installation PDF suggests 1mm but some posts suggest 2mm or 1.5mm on LR22.

If someone from Alphacool can advise that would be great!!

Thanks all!

EDIT: on further reading - it looks like people with 3090's are using 2mm / 1.5mm thickness.

For all you 3080 owners did you use the included 1mm? If so - how was the contact?

Last edited:

Sckanksta

Did you use all the 1mm pads included with the kit..?
Just followed the manual and made sure all the pads was exactly where the manual told me to. I think there were some pads left in the bag ? Or was it just the others which was for the 3090? ? I don't remember the details exactly but the instructions in the manual are perfect. Good luck mate ??

Thomas_S

Staff member
Hi all

Have just ordered this for my Gainward 3080 Phantom.

Are you guys following the PDF for thermal pad placement or exchanging the LR22 thickness up to 2mm / 1.5mm strips?

Current installation PDF suggests 1mm but some posts suggest 2mm or 1.5mm on LR22.

If someone from Alphacool can advise that would be great!!

Thanks all!

EDIT: on further reading - it looks like people with 3090's are using 2mm / 1.5mm thickness.

For all you 3080 owners did you use the included 1mm? If so - how was the contact?

hi @Junglst, please follow the manual when placing the pads. Due to the package issue/tolerances at Nvidia, you may have to use other pads. However, you can easily identify this by the imprints of the components on the thermal pads. If there are no marks, then there is no contact. "Too much contact" is also bad and in the worst case can even damage the components of your PCB. In both cases, please take a photo of your PCB + pads and send an email to info@alphacool.com. Our support will check and send you the right pads if necessary.

church

BTW, can anyone advise if/how built in rgb led strip in block can be powered on if i have aquaero6 & motherboard has no rgb connectors. Maybe someone can tell what pinout/voltage AC's block illumination rgb led strip or maybe had successfully used them with AE5 or 6 in past? Couldn't find nfo on pinout & voltages in datasheet & manual pdfs, only mention that it can be connected to AC's Aurora Eiscontrol (15360), but would be glad to not have to buy extra hw, if i already have supposedly very functional aquaero. When i tried to connect to AE6's 4-pin rgb connector, saw no result, hence would appreciate info on pinout/voltages.

Thomas_S

Staff member
As I understand it, the model of the card does not matter. In all the photos in this topic, I see the same problem. If you need specifics, here is a photo of my card Palit GeForce RTX 3090 GameRock:
View attachment 2793
Also you can see the application of pads to an empty space in your instructions:
View attachment 2794

Hi @polym0rph, thanks for the pictures. The pads are correctly positioned according to the manual. I'm being honest here! Unfortunately, I can't tell you anything about the technical significance of the recesses. The creative mind that designed the cooler and the manual is currently out of the office. Unfortunately, I can't give you the technical reason for the time being, but I'll give it to you when I have it. I hope that's all right! How does the cooler run? Are the values OK?