Alphacool Waterblock/AIO for 7900XT/XTX planned ?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Hi,

we have priorities and corresponding lists and production schedules are prepared 3-4 months in advance. We have tools where you can see exactly which item runs out when and when the next deliveries come ect.

But graphics card coolers for end customers are not always the highest priority. First come the OEM customers, then enterprise customers, then end customers and there are also differences in priorities.

We would like to have all Core models here already... but well... little by little. I am also not a person who can be very patient.... I am actually extremely impatient when I want something, then best already the day before yesterday. :)

BelzebV

I would like to understand if March also passes to have it, you said February/March, and in March you tell us that OEM and retail come first, then you could have said May directly, I want to know if I will have the WB in March, otherwise I cancel, I change gpu and take ek. direct and honest.

Aliau1987

BelzebV is right. at least have the decency to give us a fixed delivery date on a product we already payed for.

In my book Money is money and you know what else is Money? Time, Time is money. So guys give us some more precise dates we do deserve at least that.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
you can find the estimated delivery date directly on our product site, which will also always be updated is there is any change.
At the moment we are expecting the delivery in 2-3 weeks but this is currently not confirmed from our production so there will be most likely a change in the estimated delivery date.

masterskop

Alphacool,
2-3 weeks sounds great! If it's longer, I can wait ... from 'old school'. Is it possible to give me the distance mm# between the wc block above the vrms? I'm looking at buying copper. Just need to know the thickness of the copper to get :).

BelzebV

Alfacool,
2-3 settimane suona alla grande! Se è più lungo, posso aspettare... dalla "vecchia scuola". È possibile darmi la distanza mm# tra il blocco wc sopra il vrms? Sto cercando di comprare del rame. Basta conoscere lo spessore del rame per ottenere :).
yes really great, the gpu only came out in DECEMBER 2022

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
@masterskop
I am sorry but I don´t know the distance. Maybe @Eddy can tell you this.

@BelzebV Since we didn´t got the GPU from the manufacturer we had to wait until we got it. After that we could start the scanning, develpment of the water block and so on. Everything of this takes time. Before we can even start to produce the water block it takes nearly 2 month to finish everything. Then we will start to produce the water block and ship it to us. It is not so that it will only take a few days until we can start the massproduction

BelzebV

@masterskop
Mi dispiace ma non conosco la distanza. Forse @Eddy può dirtelo.

@BelzebV Dato che non abbiamo ricevuto la GPU dal produttore, abbiamo dovuto aspettare finché non l'abbiamo ricevuta. Successivamente potremmo iniziare la scansione, lo sviluppo del blocco idrico e così via. Tutto questo richiede tempo. Prima ancora di poter iniziare a produrre il waterblock ci vogliono quasi 2 mesi per finire tutto. Quindi inizieremo a produrre il waterblock e ce lo spediremo. Non è vero che ci vorranno solo pochi giorni prima di poter avviare la produzione di massa
to the question: when will it be available? we were told FEBRUARY/MARCH, looking on a friend's website, I read delivery after April 15th, therefore for us end users, it will be the end of April and the beginning of MAY, this is not correct, because you already knew before that February/March did not you would have been able to give it to your customers, another thing, you have put on sale a product YOU DON'T HAVE YET. Why???? facebook first to take ek, changing gpu model.

masterskop

@masterskop
I am sorry but I don´t know the distance. Maybe @Eddy can tell you this.

@BelzebV Since we didn´t got the GPU from the manufacturer we had to wait until we got it. After that we could start the scanning, develpment of the water block and so on. Everything of this takes time. Before we can even start to produce the water block it takes nearly 2 month to finish everything. Then we will start to produce the water block and ship it to us. It is not so that it will only take a few days until we can start the massproduction

Thank you for the info. Yes, that would be very nice if Eddy to say something about the distance :). @Vanzin...do you know if we will be able to use our current Z support bar with the block? Will there be anyway to modify the wb for the support bar? If the area of attachment for the Z support bar is lower just a bit compared to the wb, then I might be able to manufacture an 'attachment' from the Z support bar to the AC wb. I know that AC has the pcb layout, but do you or one of your employees have a Merc310 24gb card to check the wb on the card and look at the Z support bar...maybe take a pic and send it to me?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Ah..... sorry... without reading all posts before..... exactly which coolers are you waiting for now? Eisblock, Core model, AIO... and are we talking about only Reference design.... or custom... I'm just a bit confused about what exactly is at stake here.
And I'm sorry, but I don't have time to read through all the comments to figure it out.

Could you please tell me again briefly which models it is exactly about, then I can look and give a supposed delivery date. But that will also not be 100% accurate.

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
@Eddy we are talking about the 7900XTX Merc water block . @masterskop was asking about the space between VRM and the copper where we are using 1mm pads. All I know is that is smaller then 1mm for the pressure but not exactly how much.

@masterskop our water blocks are designed to fit only on the PCB without the support bar and as far as I know you can´t mount it together with our water blocks.

Zetrol

Now you are being bombarded with questions, I have an additional one;)
Since your Merc310 WB kit does not come with thermal pads for the coils (according to the manual), what thickness on thermal pads do I need in order to solve that? Why I am asking is because it will somewhat lower the coil whine/buzz :)

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
@Zetrol
We had never scheduled pads for the coils at the Merc. We only had them on the 4090 Reference cooler and that was more of a mistake from development, as we generally do not use pads at this point. Precisely because they amplify the coil whine and in no way reduce it. I also can't tell you exactly how big the gap is at this point. On the 4090, it was 2mm. That should also be "roughly" the case here. But I strongly advise you not to put pads on it here. This will have exactly the opposite effect that you want.

Zetrol

@Zetrol
We had never scheduled pads for the coils at the Merc. We only had them on the 4090 Reference cooler and that was more of a mistake from development, as we generally do not use pads at this point. Precisely because they amplify the coil whine and in no way reduce it. I also can't tell you exactly how big the gap is at this point. On the 4090, it was 2mm. That should also be "roughly" the case here. But I strongly advise you not to put pads on it here. This will have exactly the opposite effect that you want.
Okey, thanks for answering Eddy :) . A bit odd that they are not provided pads since all the 7900XTX third party air coolers that I have looked at have pads for the coils as well, also EK's 7900XTX blocks have them.. Not an expert at all but It did lower coil buzz on my prior 3080 card though.

#Update, found this, more of an case-by-case if lowers it or not I guess..

Last edited:

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
It would be really new to me that pads can reduce the coil whine. Coil whine is caused by vibrations. Pads cannot prevent this but rather transfer it to the cooler, which then serves as a resonance body. The experiences of customers and on the web tend to suggest that pads should not be used. In individual cases, it can of course be that the noise frequency changes and it sounds more pleasant and thus quieter for the own ear.
Normally, pads are applied to the coils as protection. Even with air coolers, these do not serve to cool, but only provide more stability of the cooler itself due to its size and mass.
Clear.... in marketing blah blah then it sounds quite different. Or rather, you can exploit that beautifully in marketing. But most of it is nonsense or must be considered individually.

I would also advise against following recommendations that you find on the net with epoxy resin or similar. This will result in the loss of warranty. Mostly you can suppress it with a limitation of the FPS as far as possible. Provided that the manufacturer has not fumbled with the coils.

masterskop

Eddy,
I'm looking at the Merc310 24gb card. I was wanting to know the distance from the waterblock to the vrms. I know we can use thermal paste as usual. I just wanted to know if copper can be used and what thickness. If not, no bust. Wondering if 1mm thick copper could be used?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
@masterskop
To be honest, there are production tolerances on the cooler and PCB. The distance between the cooler and the graphics card frame is between 0.4 and 0.6mm. We use 1mm Ultrasoft pads, which then adapt well to this distance due to the contact pressure.
If you want to put a piece of copper in between, with thermal paste..... it may be that a 0.5mm thick copper piece is a bit too thick or too thin. The height also varies between the Rams. So between the Ram rows. This can be 0.45mm on one row and 0.55mm on the other.