Custom water cooling for Palit RTX 3090 GameRock - Help

ReLApS

Hi guys, i have a question cause i have 0 knowledge about custom water cooling (because i have used only AIOs until now) and because there is no AIO for my Palit RTX 3090 GameRock, i would like to know if anyone can help me, what can i buy to make a custom water cooling just for this graphics card...

Something similar to EISWOLF 2 GPU AIO

Thanks in advance and wish you all a great day

Best regards,
Dan

ReLApS

I have ordered it today, hopefully i will get it before the weekend? (i'm from Denmark), and i really hope to see good results cause with the stock cooler i had crashes sometimes, (well this can be also driver isues) i will let a review here after receiving it and test it, together with some pictures.

Thanks again for the help??

ReLApS

So a little update on the Water cooling setup, if anyone is interested to have it for his Palit RTX 3080/3090 GameRock:

1x Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 360mm radiator
3x Alphacool Rise Aurora 120 mm fan (120x120x25mm) *Maybe 6 for push-pull configuration (i have my own 120 fans so i didnt ordered this one)
1x Alphacool Eisstation DC-Ultra incl. Alphacool DC-LT 2600 Ultra pump
1x Alphacool HF screw-on nozzle TPV - 12.7 / 7.6mm straight - black - kit of 6
1x Alphacool tube AlphaTube TPV 12.7 / 7.6 - Black Matte 3.3m (10ft) retail box 330cm
1x Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Acryl GPX-N RTX 3080/3090 GameRock with Backplate
2x Apex Liquid ECO 1000ml clear
1x Alphacool Apex filling funnel G1/4"

I will come back with details as soon as i will receive the setup and install it

Hope you all have a great day, stay safe !

ReLApS

To be honest, on a ST30 radiator Push&Pull is more or less pointless.

Hi Eddy,

Thanks for info,
I am using push pull on a 280mm radiator (it is an AIO from another company) for my intel i9 10900k oc'ed at only 5.0GHz and i get temps over 80°C on 3 cores. And maybe the average is 78-80°C on all cores in full load. I have 4 x 140mm fans (2 push and 2 pull).

If i use only 2 fans then i will never be able to keep my processor at 5.0GHz.

Then thinking that a RTX 3090 is running verry hot, and that i am playing maybe 3-4 hours/day.. i just tought that it will make a difference having a push pull config. But i will try both ways and i'll see how much difference it is.✌

ReLApS

Glad to see how fast i have received the order that was sent yesterday. I just got it couple of hours ago.
But now i will wait for the Alphacool tube AlphaTube TPV and Alphacool HF screw-on nozzle TPV so i can enjoy the custom water cooling✊?

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Did you test it with fans on only one side? I am not sure how it is with aluminium radiators (we are using copper only). But our tests are showing that Push&Pull on a ST30 is pointless. With very low rpm.... 600 for example, the difference is only ~1°.

Buy yeah... also depends on the waste of heat you have inside your case and how good your airflow is working. :)
I am using TPV tubes and TPV Nylon fittings only in my privat PCs. Would never change them again PVC tubes or hardtubes. But i dont care much about the optic. My Cases are somewhere in the corner. I dont want to see them ?

ReLApS

The airflow is pretty good, i have them (the 4x140mm (2push&2pull) as intake and 1x140mm back + 3x120mm top as exhaust, the case is Asus TUF Gaming GT501 (pretty big too).

I understand you, but if people choose to use only 3x120mm fans, they should always have the processor radiator and fans in front as intake (the radiator should be first and fans shoud be after the radiator)

then the gpu radiator on top as exhaust (the fans should be first then the radiator.

Hope that it is clear and logic....

But i will give it a try... i don't feel so patient to do all the tests ?

Hugh Jass

Hi Thomas,

I'm interested in doing a similar setup, only with a 480mm Monsta rad. Is there anything special I need to do other than swap out the radiator in this shopping list?

Also, curious as to what the advantage is of using the hose extensions you've recommended is vs something like what ReLApS has gone with?

I'm in quite a big case (Thermaltake Core P8), so I think I'd need at least 2 lots of those for in and 2 more for out.

Does your list include other fittings for connecting stuff at the pump end too? Or is that all included with the pump?

I'm also a little unsure of the difference between the pump you recommended and the Alphacool Eisstation VPP reservoir incl. Alphacool Eispumpe VPP755 V.3 pump, which seems to be the most well rated one/possibly even has flow capacity for me to add in a CPU run at a later date? (long time PC builder; first time water-cooler here!)

Thanks

ReLApS

Hi Thomas,

I'm interested in doing a similar setup, only with a 480mm Monsta rad. Is there anything special I need to do other than swap out the radiator in this shopping list?

Also, curious as to what the advantage is of using the hose extensions you've recommended is vs something like what ReLApS has gone with?

I'm in quite a big case (Thermaltake Core P8), so I think I'd need at least 2 lots of those for in and 2 more for out.

Does your list include other fittings for connecting stuff at the pump end too? Or is that all included with the pump?

I'm also a little unsure of the difference between the pump you recommended and the Alphacool Eisstation VPP reservoir incl. Alphacool Eispumpe VPP755 V.3 pump, which seems to be the most well rated one/possibly even has flow capacity for me to add in a CPU run at a later date? (long time PC builder; first time water-cooler here!)

Thanks

Hello,

Now that i have the items, i can tell that the only thing that Thomas initially proposed, is that you need 3 sets instead of 2 x Alphacool Eisbaer GPX Extension Set (tubes and fittings). And swap the 360mm radiator with your 480mm.

But as i wrote in the update, it is also recommended by Thomas, is the 330cm hose and 6 nozzles in my opinnion will be cheaper and more estetic cause you cut the hose legth as needed instead of using 64cm hoses without to be able to make them shorter.

And then according to what you said, that you want to add your cpu also in the loop, maybe a bigger station and pump (than the ones recommended). But this will be clarified by them cause i'm like you, never used custom loops but AIOs.

Wish you all a great day?‍♂️

Hugh Jass

Hello,

Now that i have the items, i can tell that the only thing that Thomas initially proposed, is that you need 3 sets instead of 2 x Alphacool Eisbaer GPX Extension Set (tubes and fittings). And swap the 360mm radiator with your 480mm.

But as i wrote in the update, it is also recommended by Thomas, is the 330cm hose and 6 nozzles in my opinnion will be cheaper and more estetic cause you cut the hose legth as needed instead of using 64cm hoses without to be able to make them shorter.

And then according to what you said, that you want to add your cpu also in the loop, maybe a bigger station and pump (than the ones recommended). But this will be clarified by them cause i'm like you, never used custom loops but AIOs.

Wish you all a great day?‍♂️

ReLApS,

That's absolutely awesome, mate. Thank you so much for the quick reply!

I definitely like the idea of doing what you've done with the cut to measure tubing, so I'll wait for advice from AC, but I'm pretty sure I'll be doing it that way too tbh.

If you can update me how things turn out, and whereabouts in your loop you catered for drainage (I'm guessing somewhere at the bottom lol), then that would be great.

Thanks again for the prompt reply & advice! ?

ReLApS

Hi guys,

Now that i have installed the loop and i could play a little and do some benchmarks, i will share my experience with you.
Find attached images with the installed loop and benchmarks results.
I have to mention that i am verry happy with this custom loop and my graphics card max temperature after hours of playing Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War, was 63 degrees Celsius *considering that the room temperature is 25 degrees Celsius and.... (yea i need an AC) that my graphics card is OC'ed +100 Core clock and +400 Memory Clock (Maxxed Power / Temp limits - see pictures attached)
It runs with an i9 10900k 5.0GHz and Resizable BAR enabled.

And most important i have to mention that 1 thermal pad needs to be thicker *instead of 1mm should be 1.5mm - See attached picture
To fill up this gap, i have used some from the original GameRock cooler thermal pad. *Temperature can be improved with the right thermal pad thickness
This is valid for Palit RTX 3090 GameRock (i don't know for the others if it is the same problem)

So yea, as i said i am happy with the results, the card can be pushed even harder but i have no need for that now.
The installation of the loop it is a little tricky but yea... worth the effort.

I have 2 intake 140mm fans, and 1x140mm + 3x120mm exhaust fans in an Asus TUF Gaming GT501 closed case.
The installation of the fans as i said above, pulls the air through the radiator. (so at the intake is the Radiator First and then the fans; at the exhaust from top to bottom, first the fans then the radiator)

The pump is extremely silent and does a great job and i hope it will keep it this way :)

This is it guys, and i want to thanks to Thomas for what he did and for this recommendation of the custom loop.
Keep doing good work :D

Wish you all a great end of the week!
Stay safe

Attachments

• Fire Strike Extreme.jpg
    Fire Strike Extreme.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Fire Strike Ultra.jpg
    Fire Strike Ultra.jpg
    657.1 KB · Views: 19
  • OC + Min Max Temps.jpg
    OC + Min Max Temps.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Port Royal.jpg
    Port Royal.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Thicker Thermopad.jpg
    Thicker Thermopad.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Time Spy Extreme.jpg
    Time Spy Extreme.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Custom Loop.jpg
    Custom Loop.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Room Temp.jpg
    Room Temp.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Time Spy.jpg
    Time Spy.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 18
  • User Benchmarks.jpg
    User Benchmarks.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

michal89chz

I have with this WC setup 65C on GPU (max load 4k with RT) and water goes up to 50c, I think 3090 OC needs at least 360mm 45mm thick radiator, not slim one.

How hot water can be in this loop without any harm to parts? I am litle bit scared about damage to hoses, acrylic block and pump.
Thanks

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Yeah, I'm a little bit bemused by some of the temps I'm seeing here tbh.

Lots of people seem to be reporting temps in the 60's with the stock BIOS, which - given I'm currently maxing at 67 on air (admittedly with a LM re-paste and pad swap) with the 520W BIOS - just seems way too high to me. If I limit my card to 400W then I'm topping out at 57 (or 50 at 350W lol).

Most of my research prior to this has suggested even with the 1000W BIOS (which actually tops out around 675W unless you're hard modding to bypass voltage restrictions), a good block+a 360mm rad should keep things under 50 still (48 seems to be the number most people are arriving at as a max torture test temp).

Also, so far as I'm aware, a good water temp is generally considered to be in the 20's-30's, with the concern being when you start getting to 40 plus, it can seriously degrade any rubber elements/tubing etc. That said, there are definitely people out there who have been running with water temps of between 40-50 for years without issue; so I guess there's a decent bit of leeway between recommended temps, and temps causing outright failure.

My previous 2 cards have both been water-cooled using a Kraken G12 (plus various different AIOs in the 240-360mm range), and the 1080 ti maxed out at 30 with the 320W BIOS, and my 2080 ti at 35 with the 380W BIOS. If I put a block on this card and see temps over 50, I'm personally going to be somewhat disappointed based on my own past experience/expectations if I'm honest.

The thought of a 360 slim not being enough to keep a 3090 at a massively improved temp over the stock cooler just sounds absolutely bonkers to me, and knowing what a bitch these cards are with their mounting pressure, I'd be tempted to recheck your work if I'm honest (I'm absolutely not blaming you either btw. Just these 30 series with their tensioner plates are extremely finicky/fussy to work with in my experience, and getting ideal mounting pressure is an exercise in nirvanic patience).

michal89chz

Yeah, I'm a little bit bemused by some of the temps I'm seeing here tbh.

Lots of people seem to be reporting temps in the 60's with the stock BIOS, which - given I'm currently maxing at 67 on air (admittedly with a LM re-paste and pad swap) with the 520W BIOS - just seems way too high to me. If I limit my card to 400W then I'm topping out at 57 (or 50 at 350W lol).

Most of my research prior to this has suggested even with the 1000W BIOS (which actually tops out around 675W unless you're hard modding to bypass voltage restrictions), a good block+a 360mm rad should keep things under 50 still (48 seems to be the number most people are arriving at as a max torture test temp).

Also, so far as I'm aware, a good water temp is generally considered to be in the 20's-30's, with the concern being when you start getting to 40 plus, it can seriously degrade any rubber elements/tubing etc. That said, there are definitely people out there who have been running with water temps of between 40-50 for years without issue; so I guess there's a decent bit of leeway between recommended temps, and temps causing outright failure.

My previous 2 cards have both been water-cooled using a Kraken G12 (plus various different AIOs in the 240-360mm range), and the 1080 ti maxed out at 30 with the 320W BIOS, and my 2080 ti at 35 with the 380W BIOS. If I put a block on this card and see temps over 50, I'm personally going to be somewhat disappointed based on my own past experience/expectations if I'm honest.

The thought of a 360 slim not being enough to keep a 3090 at a massively improved temp over the stock cooler just sounds absolutely bonkers to me, and knowing what a bitch these cards are with their mounting pressure, I'd be tempted to recheck your work if I'm honest (I'm absolutely not blaming you either btw. Just these 30 series with their tensioner plates are extremely finicky/fussy to work with in my experience, and getting ideal mounting pressure is an exercise in nirvanic patience).

I am fine with GPU temps as fans are on 1200RPM only, but I am concerned about 40+ water, heat is correctly transfered from waterblock to the loop, liquid metal used and block was reseated twice.

michal89chz

I am fine with GPU temps as fans are on 1200RPM max, but I am concerned about 40+ water, heat is correctly transfered from waterblock to the loop, liquid metal used and block was reseated twice, I am sure that thicker rad will help out :)

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
I have with this WC setup 65C on GPU (max load 4k with RT) and water goes up to 50c, I think 3090 OC needs at least 360mm 45mm thick radiator, not slim one.

How hot water can be in this loop without any harm to parts? I am litle bit scared about damage to hoses, acrylic block and pump.
Thanks
The absolute upper limit is 60°C water temperature. Please do not exceed this temperature, otherwise the components may be damaged. The radiator with a thickness of 30 mm is not the problem. We also use them in our GPU AIOs and they work perfectly. A 360mm 45mm radiator only really makes sense in push/pull configuration. More radiator surface or a stronger pump could still bring improvement.