'Gainward Phantom, Phantom GS, Palit GameRock, GameRock OC RTX 3090, 3080 waterblocks'

TheChilled0ne

You are joking?! We've been talking here for half a year, waiting and all in vain?
There is an alternative I've found from Bykski but was hoping and waiting for an Alpahcool option as most of the rest of the build I'm looking at is using Alphacools components, It's not much use to those of you who already have a full cover block and are waiting on a backplate though :/

Good day. @Eddy, @Thomas_S

Let's clarify the situation.

In August 2022, Eddy wrote that the first attempt was unsuccessful, but work is in full swing.

In November 2022, Thomas_S wrote that there will be a result very soon. "A little patience please!" (c)

In December 2022, a link appeared to an encouraging topic that Active Backplates will be in Q1 2022.

And now Thomas_S tells us that this will not happen.

As a result.

Active Backplate for the Palit Gamerock 3090 will not be?

There is an alternative I've found from Bykski but was hoping and waiting for an Alpahcool option as most of the rest of the build I'm looking at is using Alphacools components, It's not much use to those of you who already have a full cover block and are waiting on a backplate though :/
Let's wait for clarification from AC.
They presented 9 active panels, but for Palit's 3090 they considered it unprofitable? After so many statements, I expected a fair game from them.
If so, they won't get my money, very sad... :-(

TheChilled0ne

Let's wait for clarification from AC.
They presented 9 active panels, but for Palit's 3090 they considered it unprofitable? After so many statements, I expected a fair game from them.
If so, they won't get my money, very sad... :-(
Indeed! Still early Q1 now, so things may change and I'm willing to wait a little more yet. The Bykski uses 1.8mm thermal pads which don't seem to have much aftermarket support and the stock pads are 8W/mk I believe and I would like something a little more conductive on my precious toasty 3090 memory modules

church

Hmm, but from pics on all so far released blocks it looks like same waterblock but with card-specific backplate.
We already have "passive" card-specific backplate in set of our blocks .. waterblocks from these new released active backplates cannot be attached to our passive backplates we have in sets of our fullcover blocks already?
@Thomas_S
How about .. selling that waterblock part w/o backplate + some paper template, if one needs to bore some new holes in our passive backplates for attaching screws? Or adding in set some thermally conductive glue to glue it onto our passive backplates?

church

I perfectly understand AC to not wish to spend a lot for release of very small run product. All extra expenses not recouped by big enough run will turn out losses, and on top of our cards already being niche product, there might be even smaller number of those that will buy active backplate in addition to main block.
But may i ask, what might be minimum run for it to be worth it, and maybe, like with main block, we should organize voicing of commitment by numerous enough buyers, that are willing to buy before AC commits to make active backplate for our cards too?
@Eddy ? @Thomas_S ? :)

I support @church. Please add me to this list.

And I have another suggestion for @Eddy, @Thomas_S.
Which active backplate you currently sell is closest to the backplate for the Palit Gamerock 3090?
I understand that none are 100%, but I am able to drill holes with the required accuracy and I do not care about the appearance.

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Just to clarify things here. Since so many people here in the forum wanted the Gamerock cooler so badly, contrary to our previous assumption that it might not be worth it, we made the cooler. With it, an active backplate was also planned. The fact is that the Gamerock cooler runs extremely poorly. The euphoria of the forum does not reflect the market situation. It is one of the worst-running coolers we have had in our range for a long time. That's why the active backplate was cancelled.

church

Ouch. Bad news :( I hope that at least those that told in forum that they will buy, did.
So i guess, it means with certainty, that no card specific active backplate will be made .. that still leaves up in air, if block from some other released cooled backplate can be reused/attached to our existing passive backplates ..
@Eddy can AC sell just block (which seems same across new released active ones) w/o backplate? Even complete packaging not required. Just whatever seems simpler/cheaper for you.

Just to clarify things here. Since so many people here in the forum wanted the Gamerock cooler so badly, contrary to our previous assumption that it might not be worth it, we made the cooler. With it, an active backplate was also planned. The fact is that the Gamerock cooler runs extremely poorly. The euphoria of the forum does not reflect the market situation. It is one of the worst-running coolers we have had in our range for a long time. That's why the active backplate was cancelled.
@Eddy in the end, we are left without an active backplate?
Which of the existing ones can be used, with refinement, for the Palit Gamerock 3090?
I understand that there are 3 of us left here, but you understand us too :)

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
@church
Whether the people from the forum here have all bought the cooler, I can't say. Of course, more have been sold than the people who are on the forum here. But the actual minimum quantity from which it makes sense for us to develop a cooler was not reached.

The block of the active backplate cannot be sold individually, as the entire backplate is made from one piece. The milling of the cooler is the same, but the whole thing is a single piece of copper.

@Grey_4_Lance
Off the top of my head, I don't know which backplate could be used for the Gamerock. You would have to take a closer look at all the screw connections. To be honest, I don't really have hope that there is a possibility. But I'll have another look next week. Maybe a solution will be found.

A somewhat unattractive solution that nevertheless works is to glue the ram cooler to the normal backplate with heat-conducting adhesive. This also gives you significantly better temperatures.

@church
Whether the people from the forum here have all bought the cooler, I can't say. Of course, more have been sold than the people who are on the forum here. But the actual minimum quantity from which it makes sense for us to develop a cooler was not reached.

The block of the active backplate cannot be sold individually, as the entire backplate is made from one piece. The milling of the cooler is the same, but the whole thing is a single piece of copper.

@Grey_4_Lance
Off the top of my head, I don't know which backplate could be used for the Gamerock. You would have to take a closer look at all the screw connections. To be honest, I don't really have hope that there is a possibility. But I'll have another look next week. Maybe a solution will be found.

A somewhat unattractive solution that nevertheless works is to glue the ram cooler to the normal backplate with heat-conducting adhesive. This also gives you significantly better temperatures.
@Eddy thanks for your diligence.
Looking forward to next week.

church

@church
Still, unpleasant to hear, as after all, i've been one of those that generated that euphoria in forum :)

I'd really appreciate too if you will (i guess it will involve comparing CAD drawings?)

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Yes, we have to check some CAD drawings but i am not a devloper so i dont have the software and the experience to do it. But I'll see if I can get one of the team to check whether another cooler might fit with a little help.

@Grey_4_Lance
Good day @Eddy
What did you manage to find out?