'Gainward Phantom, Phantom GS, Palit GameRock, GameRock OC RTX 3090, 3080 waterblocks'

church

Synologic: or i'd just unmount cooler and compare PCB with pics from eg. here or here with ones of branded as Palit. That thermal pad talk though makes me think that there might be extra hassle with getting right pads to mount stock aircooler back, if stock pads get damaged/ripped.. it might be unpleasant to stay with unworking card untill ordered block arives.
Mailing Palit/Gainward support also might be an option (of unknown success and promptness of response though).

Synologic

Synologic: or i'd just unmount cooler and compare PCB with pics from eg. here or here with ones of branded as Palit. That thermal pad talk though makes me think that there might be extra hassle with getting right pads to mount stock aircooler back, if stock pads get damaged/ripped.. it might be unpleasant to stay with unworking card untill ordered block arives.
Mailing Palit/Gainward support also might be an option (of unknown success and promptness of response though).

That's sound advice, what i think i'll do is to get the cooler then do the comparison, if it fits, it's a win, if not, i'll worry about the thermal pads when the time comes.

Besides, by when i'll have the time to unmount the cooler and do the comparison, i'm sure somebody more experienced will beat me to it and post their findings ... it's not slacking, just lack of time for such complex operation (for me, as it's the first time)

church

With such approach of direct test fit, by dim chance that there might be some incompatibility with Gainward's (which i doubt), due limited run i guess one should be able to sell block later on to Palit owners. Obviously do report results here, other owners of gainward cards can certainly benefit of extra assurance.

Lareng

For sure i will buy one and test it on my Gainward Phantom 3090 (not GS) ... as per the initial discussions on this thread, the PCBs should be the same, but from what i read around here there might be a problem with the thermal pads.

I just hope it will match :)
And I will buy one and test on my Phantom 3090 GS ??

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Sorry, no. I am not sure if we will make an Eiswolf 2 version. We will see how well the sellings of the normal cooler will be. To be hinest, a lot of planed Eiswolf are not realeased right now. We are faaaaaaar behind our plan.

church

Imho "Eiswolf" should be just option selectable for any full cover gpu block universally, if it's possible to implement it in such way, checkbox/extra product in order of something that can be attached upon normal block, prefilled and shipped assembled, not "special version" of gpu block. Not needed for me, as i have my custom loop, but guessing that many may wish AIO cooling for symplicity sake, and "universal" ones should drop need to redo R&D for every new gpu.

sakarno

Question: Is there any chance to order or maybe get the cooler this month ?!?! Have a new Pimax 8Kx and the 3090 is cooking... :)

DlGar_26

OMG I literally lost hope for a water block for my Palit Gamerock you guys are the best !!!!

Just a question it might have been answered, but I didn't have had the time to read the full topic.

Will there be an active backplate too ? Since some VRMs are on the back side of the PCB and I believe the actually heating problem of the RTX 3090 is because of the VRMs in the back side which are actually only cooled by the backplate, it would be nice to be able to make an active GPU sandwich.

And as @church said Palit rtx 3090 GPUs use non-standard thermal pads which are almost impossible to find I will attach a diagram which I got from Palit support it uses 0.75 mm and 2.25 mm pads which Palit support told me to reconsider trying to change my thermal pads !

Original text from Palit support:
#RTX 3090 GameRock OC uses many thermal pads with different SPEC.
#It might be difficult for customers to find thermal pads with proper thickness and hardness pads.
#So renew the thermal pads might result in worse thermal performance.
#Please consider more before you take this movement.

The YouTuber JimRPG uploaded a video where he tried to change thermal pads on a Palit rtx 3090 GamingPro which faced this problem and if I call right he needed 9 tries to get the same last temp results with new thermal pads which he had to press, double layer and ... the thermal pads to get the correct thickness... much work for achieving no thermal difference with the stock thermal pads !

Whether we want or not one day these cards are going to be resold, and I believe many would like to put it back as it was bought for selling since not everyone likes to water cool their systems and by the specs of the thermal pads there might be some problems in the future !

Attachments

• 3090+GA1021+F278P-1B0+HC019P-2G0.png
    3090+GA1021+F278P-1B0+HC019P-2G0.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 23
  • GameRock_backplate_HC019P-1G0.png
    GameRock_backplate_HC019P-1G0.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 22

church

My guess it that there might be active cooled backplate, but not at launch of block, so not worth the wait to get both at same time, given supposedly limited run of block. Rather during wait for such backplate in future get by with eg. extra fan blowing over backplate, or possibly in addition to main heat sources (namely gpu) being LC cooled, thus less hot, they will dump less heat to PCB/nearby components, reducing issue with temps even for non-directly extra cooled elements. I still want active cooled backplate aswell, but won't make it "showstopper" for block purchase :).
As for non standard pads, Palit certainly is not alone in that. Lot of issues with non standard pads i've seen also with other cards, eg. in thread about EVGAs FTW3 3090. It seems non issue for manufacturer as it can buy in bulk non-retail or order custom pads, but obviously such practice doesn't make things simple for enduser. I don't think that it is reasoned to especially turn off endusers from DIY tinkering with cards and tie in manufacturer's support only, rather cooling system being designed & manufactured first, and then test-selected fitment with whichever pads did the job of ensuring good thermal contact best instead of slight redesign of heatsink to change clearances in way for more common pads to fit as good. Unfortunately due 3090 cards & their cooling systems being close to limit what's possible with little to no reserves, even slight worsening may noticeably worsen cooling, increase throttling, decrease performance. It's hard to expect 450W of heat to be cooled effectively with system that has more restraints then CPU cooler (that also needs to cool half or 1/3rd of gpu's heatload). Near limits of what's possible, unless LC with less limitations to rad placement and size.

Last edited:

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
We are working on an active backplate solution that will fits on every RTX 3090 block. But it won't be a solution that you simply stick on the existing backplate, but the complete backplate will be replaced. But I can still promise that this solution will be attractively priced and will certainly not cost 130€ or more as some others do.
But i cant say when we will have it done and available.

Thermal pads... please never compare thermal pads from different cooler. That makes absolutely no sense and too many people made the wrong choises after doing that.

Good day.
Great news @Eddy, thanks for your efforts. Great day!
But I am tormented by the question - the release of which water block will be presented on June 17? Earlier you answered me that you have several options. I would like to know - the sold waterblock (already 17.06, hurray!) will be compatible with the active backplate, or is it still an unknown parameter?
P.s. I saw your post above, but let's clarify :)

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Like i said, ative backplate cooling will be available for all RTX 3090 cooler. And on 17.06 we will release the Gamerock cooler and two 3070 cooler for Asus dual, TUF and Strix. All coolers will be on stock. Hopefully enough for all orders. But i think, they will be sold out very fast.

StuPot

Like i said, ative backplate cooling will be available for all RTX 3090 cooler. And on 17.06 we will release the Gamerock cooler and two 3070 cooler for Asus dual, TUF and Strix. All coolers will be on stock. Hopefully enough for all orders. But i think, they will be sold out very fast.
What time on the 17th will it go live on the website?