'Gainward Phantom, Phantom GS, Palit GameRock, GameRock OC RTX 3090, 3080 waterblocks'

Krypto

Since this was my forst custom loop (gpu only) Im curious to know if my temps are as expected. My core temp stabilizes at 61*c after 2-3 hours of heavy gaming. I dont know the temperature of the ester in the loop.
Fractal Design Define 7
Palit GameRock 3090 OC, 420 rad with 3xSilentWings @ 950rpm, Eisstation DDC pump/res. Radiator mounted at the top as exhaust. Card runs at 1890-2010mhz

Lareng

Well I hope you will have better experience then me for some reason after installing the water block my system act a bit weird 3090 GS I reinstall the old cooler and test it today for few hours ( the problem I had that after this card was working with the watercooler I got crashers in mid game ) I followed the instructions tell me if you run into any issues
So far I have 1mm pads on the vram’s and 2mm on all the other stuff that needed pads. I tried 2mm on the vram but then the gpu won’t touch the block. I think for the Phantom 3090 a 1,5mm on the vram would be perfect. I’ll get that tomorrow, don’t dare to power on as I suspect the 1mm are just to thin on this card.
1st picture is the 1mm on the vram, 2nd is the 2mm on the “other chip further out” is it a power regulator? ?

Attachments

• DDF0CF0B-B11E-4964-A439-32D9C7A31E94.jpeg
    DDF0CF0B-B11E-4964-A439-32D9C7A31E94.jpeg
    657.4 KB · Views: 53
  • C53DBCE7-375E-419C-A527-EFDA9526A753.jpeg
    C53DBCE7-375E-419C-A527-EFDA9526A753.jpeg
    738.5 KB · Views: 53
  • A8A2B3BB-F46A-449A-8559-E69831EE43D1.jpeg
    A8A2B3BB-F46A-449A-8559-E69831EE43D1.jpeg
    593.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 1DB31ADF-66EC-4AC4-8D26-D31CACA72CA8.jpeg
    1DB31ADF-66EC-4AC4-8D26-D31CACA72CA8.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 53

Ossio

So far I have 1mm pads on the vram’s and 2mm on all the other stuff that needed pads. I tried 2mm on the vram but then the gpu won’t touch the block. I think for the Phantom 3090 a 1,5mm on the vram would be perfect. I’ll get that tomorrow, don’t dare to power on as I suspect the 1mm are just to thin on this card.
1st picture is the 1mm on the vram, 2nd is the 2mm on the “other chip further out” is it a power regulator? ?
I had few issues the card was running but after 1.30 hours of gaming it would artifact, random crashes and black screams follow up with reboots ,i have install the old cooler and everything is good now on the old one ,the LR22 chips could use a 1.5 or 2mm one i have uses 2mm one but i havent tested anything yet my problem could also be that i might over do it with the thermal paste

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
I had few issues the card was running but after 1.30 hours of gaming it would artifact, random crashes and black screams follow up with reboots ,i have install the old cooler and everything is good now on the old one ,the LR22 chips could use a 1.5 or 2mm one i have uses 2mm one but i havent tested anything yet my problem could also be that i might over do it with the thermal paste
.... When you rebuilt the old cooler, did you check whether all the pads had sufficient contact (this can be seen clearly from the marks on the pads)?

snd1986

Since this was my forst custom loop (gpu only) Im curious to know if my temps are as expected. My core temp stabilizes at 61*c after 2-3 hours of heavy gaming. I dont know the temperature of the ester in the loop.
Fractal Design Define 7
Palit GameRock 3090 OC, 420 rad with 3xSilentWings @ 950rpm, Eisstation DDC pump/res. Radiator mounted at the top as exhaust. Card runs at 1890-2010mhz
Temps are decent. Mine with 2x360 rads and noctua and corsair ll120 fans are max 55c gpu, memory 60c. And I am using the 500w bios.
I would recommend changing the silient wing 3s out for something better for static pressure. Silent wings are great for air flow, but not as good on radiators.

Also thanks Alphacool for making the gpu block!
It's helped lower my ram temps too as the blow through on stock cooler was blowing warm air on to them. Lowered by 20c!

church

Is there anything better for rads from 120mm fans as scythe/nidec servo gentle typhoons? IIRC at ~ 1100rpms they provided tons of static pressure and were relatively silent despite having ball bearings..

Thomas_S

Staff member
The LR22 chips was slight pressed but not all of them on both sides
Finally, moderate imprints of the components to be cooled must be visible on all pads. If this is not the case, there is no contact with the component and it is therefore not cooled sufficiently or not at all. (This may be related to the package problems) Is this the case? If so, simply contact our support team at info@alphacool.com. (Pictures of your PCB with pads are required) In the best case, the appropriate pads will then be sent out to you.

Ossio

Finally, moderate imprints of the components to be cooled must be visible on all pads. If this is not the case, there is no contact with the component and it is therefore not cooled sufficiently or not at all. (This may be related to the package problems) Is this the case? If so, simply contact our support team at info@alphacool.com. (Pictures of your PCB with pads are required) In the best case, the appropriate pads will then be sent out to you.
Thank you Thomas_S i will try again today and will give my feedback here as well

Thomas_S

Staff member
Thank you Thomas_S i will try again today and will give my feedback here as well
.... It would be easier to open a separate post so that we don't lose the overview here ;-) If there are problems with the distances between the pads and the card, please send an email to support. We can't clarify that here in the forum, but we can help with advice and action ;-) AND, you only make the effort once ;-)

IceFireW

I found a flaw, the fastening screw is long and when you press the back panel, the textolite bends. I removed the fixing screw and everything became smooth.
Palit GR 3080 OC

Attachments

• IMG_20210622_122833.jpg
    IMG_20210622_122833.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20210623_124052.jpg
    IMG_20210623_124052.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 69

church

@IceFireW , @Krypto - seeing that pic .. why not flip around nut & bolt? Bolt's head certainly looks thinner then nut, and it should help with no extra parts or dremeling off some length of bolt and some thickness off nut..
BTW, is it "too long screw" or too thick nut? When backplate or block is not yet mounted on, does screw goes past nut when fully tightened?

Last edited: