'Gainward Phantom, Phantom GS, Palit GameRock, GameRock OC RTX 3090, 3080 waterblocks'

sakarno

South germany 300kms from Alpha…. Have order it around 1h After Release…. Delivery two days…. About the Temps at My 3090 dont know about the memory temps…. Have a other Problem…. The two 32cm Radiators have Not enough Power to Beat this Beast With my 11900k CPU….. thinking about a external bigger cooler…. Bit today we have 30 degrees outside today

Last edited:

sakarno

South germany 300kms from Alpha…. Have order it around 1h After Release…. Delivery two days…. About the Temps at My 3090 dont know about the memory temps…. Have a other Problem…. The two 32cm Radiators have Not enough Power to Beat this Beast With my 11900k CPU….. thinking about a external bigger cooler….
Have Used the alphacool cooling paste…..
Temps at gpu 30 degrees in idle and 40-60 degrees at Full Load 480 watt bios

StuPot

South germany 300kms from Alpha…. Have order it around 1h After Release…. Delivery two days…. About the Temps at My 3090 dont know about the memory temps…. Have a other Problem…. The two 32cm Radiators have Not enough Power to Beat this Beast With my 11900k CPU….. thinking about a external bigger cooler…. Bit today we have 30 degrees outside today
What did your water temperature get up to?

church

Hello all !
I am a big noob in the watercooling filed and I was only working with AIO from know.
could you kindly advise me? For my 3090 phantoms GS
For simplicity sake suggest to buy some reservoir integrated with pump.
Rads area .. depends on your requirements for low temp delta and cooling loudness. In my book of rule of thumbs, one can cool 100W heatload quietly with ~ single 120mm fan rad section. With just gpu LC-ed, i'd probably get 3x120(360) rad (gpu-s imho suffer less even with higher air-liquid deltas. And even 2x120 will be way more effective then stock air cooler (which is very cramped/air flow limited by being close to card/need to be within specific slot thickness). If also cpu in same LC loop, i'd add another 2x120 or 3x120 rad to loop (one of pros of LC that it adds flexibility where and what rads in loop are added/mounted). Less dense finned rads (low FPI) if intended to use with quiet-slow fans (you can also consider fans from both rad sides, in push-pull configuration), higher FPI rads if with powerful and loud fans (but of lesser rad area/size for same cooling).
Probably would prefer non-hard tubing, buy tubing with reserve to not miss few cm and need to reorder it alone. Choose compression fittings (pay attention for both ID & OD to fit tubing ID/OD), or barb fittings (ID must be fit for ID of tubing) + some clamps (or zipties).
Get some premixed coolant (to prevent algae growth). Or distilled water + biocide and or silver.
Connect everything together. Find some videos on youtube on filling & leak-testing.
Disconnect power wiring from motherboard and gpu. Add some paper-tovels around fittings. Fill loop. Jump start pump (via connecting right pins on 24ping mobo harness from PSU) and run for 2-24h, checking for leaks, tightening where needed. Shake/tilt case to ease air bubbles guiding out of rads/tubing/block to reservoir.
After leak testing connect power back to mobo & gpu and use your new custom LC cooled pc :).
There are also some more integrated kits of eg. external rad-res-pump, for which you may need only two fittings for block + some tubing to connect those external rads .. but IIRC they were often on expensive side.

Last edited:

c6d2aec3

Hey @alphacool, my order arrived today and I managed to mount the waterblock on my Gainward 3090 Phantom. Looks gorgeous! : )
The mounting seems to be fine, but there's some noticeable clearance between the heatpads on the VRM inductors and the block itself:
IMG_20210617_150619.jpg
Is this specific to the Gainward model, and is it something to be concerned about?
Cheers!

sakarno

maybe you hav a little bit too much cooler paste on the gpu chiplet .... have also this problem..... fixed it withg a realy thin layer of cooling paste ..l. and for secure i put a second thermalp pad from the original cooler on the 'VRM then it fits fine.....

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Please sent this picture to our support: info@alphacool.com

Its not the thermal paste. Either you have a rare package problem or the components on your card are not identical to the Gamerock. The height differences are far too great for it to be the thermal paste. The difference is only 0.1 mm. But that's already millimetres you're missing. I would also read out the ram temperatures with HWInfo. It looks to me as if there is no contact pressure here either.

Ossio

Hey @alphacool, my order arrived today and I managed to mount the waterblock on my Gainward 3090 Phantom. Looks gorgeous! : )
The mounting seems to be fine, but there's some noticeable clearance between the heatpads on the VRM inductors and the block itself:
View attachment 2622
Is this specific to the Gainward model, and is it something to be concerned about?
Cheers!
I have mounted mine few minutes ago ,mine is perfectly fit without any issues Gainward 3090 GS . Well on the seconf look it might need a bigger pad

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    794.3 KB · Views: 65

c6d2aec3

Please sent this picture to our support: info@alphacool.com

Its not the thermal paste. Either you have a rare package problem or the components on your card are not identical to the Gamerock. The height differences are far too great for it to be the thermal paste. The difference is only 0.1 mm. But that's already millimetres you're missing. I would also read out the ram temperatures with HWInfo. It looks to me as if there is no contact pressure here either.
It looks kinda exaggerated in this picture, the gap is actually half a millimeter wide. I haven't plugged it in yet, so can't really measure the temps, but all the other pads look fine upon inspection.
I sent the picture to the support, will update here if we get this figured out. ;)

EDIT: got the response, seems like it's the package problem (link) - some cards might need thicker pads to compensate for that.

Last edited:

Synologic

So here's some shots of my Gainward Phantom 3090 PCB

Hopefully i'll have the patience to install the cooler it today :)

LE: fixed permissions on google drive.
As per other reports, the vrm pads could be thicker.

Will test temepratures soon, if the card still boots :)))

Last edited:

n5000

Here is mine in place.
Tightening backplate screws with L shape screwdriver fixed VRM pad contact for me.

Edit: Mine is a GameRock 3090 card... the one that was 3d scanned at Alphacool ;)

Attachments

• GPX.jpg
    GPX.jpg
    616.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

n5000

View attachment 2622
Cheers!

Looks like you don't have the backplate mounted yet? It will push the block closer to the components too.

Edit: if I remember correctly, when the backplate is not mounted yet, the block is held in place just by the four screws around the GPU and those four screws by themselves can obviously not maintain pressure for around the entire board. That's why it's mandatory to mount the backplate.

Last edited:

church

^ this sounds like more then possible reason for gap.
EDIT
Though it also seems that may add extra obstacles for designing universal active cooling backplate for fitting different PCBs, to get mounting pressure right and extra mounting holes needed for that across all of them

Last edited:

Thomas_S

... the nice marketing guy next door
Staff member
Its been over 24 hours no reply to my tracking question email, checked my spam and inbox
At the moment, we need up to 48 hours on weekdays. The hard-working guys from the support team also need a holiday. After the weekend, we will continue with full menpower and at our usual fast pace. So please be patient ;-)