MSI 4090 Suprim X waterblock vrm cooling

revolutionz13

@revolutionz13

our water block is covering all components which will actually need cooling. We don´t recommend to place thermal pads on other components like the coils, because this can cause that the water block doesn´t have enough pressure and contact with PCB.
If the pads are sized correctly, how could it cause that to happen?

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
@revolutionz13
It is simple, if you are placing Pads on components, where we don´t planned to place pads, it can be that the cut out on this part is not enough anymore and the components which should have contact with the water block doesn´t have any contact.

I bought this exact product from a vendor in China (I'm in Asia, and Alphacool manufactures its products in China anyway) early May 2023 and confirm that I have the OLD VERSION, the TOP MOSFET IS STILL UNCOVERED.

And one of the screw thread of the acrylic base, near the edge, was broken and cannot hold the screw stand. I don't know if it's Alphacool QA issue from the beginning or it's because the delivery service.

Overall, I'm disappointed. This is my first GPU block ever, and for an expensive Suprim X 4090!

I would suggest you stay away from this product if you want a water block for MSI 4090 cards.

PS: Bought early May but I posted late because I haven't opened the package until now.

Attachments

• 20230522_131109.jpg
    20230522_131109.jpg
    693.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230522_131120.jpg
    20230522_131120.jpg
    797.7 KB · Views: 12

MDK_pt

Hello,

as this been corrected as i pending to buy one for my suprim X but will hold on that until iam shure this is corrected?

If i buy it direct from your shop Will i recieve the updated version that suports the suprim x ?

Best regards

Last edited:

Vanzin

Support
Staff member
As far as I know we won´t change the water block. In our testing we didn´t found any problems with the passively cooled mosfet, but if you want to actively cool it, you can contact us, and we will send you a Kit for it.

MDK_pt

thanks for the reply

This is limited to the aurora right?

Does the core waterblock has this problem?

Best regards

thanks for the reply

This is limited to the aurora right?

Does the core waterblock has this problem?

Best regards
You can figure it out from the pdf manual, compare with Aurora. The core has two long pads: one with 105 and one with 115. The aurora has two same length 105. I think the core doesn't have this issue.
But imo I strongly recommend you buy from the other brand (you know who) and free your brain.
Its price's about $100 higher but considering the confident it brings, and also the fact that your wallet can afford Suprim X 4090, i don't think it's a big issue for you.
Do your brain a favor and focus on something else. I made a mistake of buying this (see my post above) and now I wasted ~$220 and still have to buy from that other brand. What's worse is the free shipping coupon I had for that other brand was expired and I need to pay $82 for shipping fee, plus waiting time for DHL...I wish I bought from the other brand right from the beginning.

In our testing we didn´t found any problems with the passively cooled mosfet
@Vanzin we choose VGA waterblock (and void the warranty, at least in my country) not just to keep the temp "acceptable", sir. We want the best (or at least better) for both aesthetic and performance. In your case, this top mosfet, without touching any part of the block, will have worse temp than stock heatsink, unacceptable. I am very surprised you still sell faulty products like this Aurora.

@MDK_pt regarding the broken acrylic (see my post above), although no evidence, I really doubt that it's the courier's fault. The seller packed it very very good, the block was untouched (all seals were intact), shipment was smooth and fast (no stay in warehouse for too long), and there was no significant dent or deform of the carton box when I received the parcel.

Last edited:

MDK_pt

You can figure it out from the pdf manual, compare with Aurora. The core has two long pads: one with 105 and one with 115. The aurora has two same length 105. I think the core doesn't have this issue.
But imo I strongly recommend you buy from the other brand (you know who) and free your brain.
Its price's about $100 higher but considering the confident it brings, and also the fact that your wallet can afford Suprim X 4090, i don't think it's a big issue for you.
Do your brain a favor and focus on something else. I made a mistake of buying this (see my post above) and now I wasted ~$220 and still have to buy from that other brand. What's worse is the free shipping coupon I had for that other brand was expired and I need to pay $82 for shipping fee, plus waiting time for DHL...I wish I bought from the other brand right from the beginning.

@Vanzin we choose VGA waterblock (and void the warranty, at least in my country) not just to keep the temp "acceptable", sir. We want the best (or at least better) for both aesthetic and performance. In your case, this top mosfet, without touching any part of the block, will have worse temp than stock heatsink, unacceptable. I am very surprised you still sell faulty products like this Aurora.

@MDK_pt regarding the broken acrylic (see my post above), although no evidence, I really doubt that it's the courier's fault. The seller packed it very very good, the block was untouched (all seals were intact), shipment was smooth and fast (no stay in warehouse for too long), and there was no significant dent or deform of the carton box when I received the parcel.

thanks for the feedback, its not a price question its performance and yes cheaper but you can see that its better then that brand, if the core does not have this problem and from the tests i will buy it

cheers

thanks for the feedback, its not a price question its performance and yes cheaper but you can see that its better then that brand, if the core does not have this problem and from the tests i will buy it

cheers
Please give me the thread where the performance of that other brand is worse :D
My knowledge is that other brand is overpriced a bit but performance is top, and most of all QA process is better, lead to the less chance you receive a faulty products (like I had). Recently I've bought 2 large orders from them (2 large radiators, fan, tube, fittings,...) and all the items were received in perfect condition.

Last edited:
Just see igorslab for example
Got it. I will consider fixing the Aurora with their solution and use it instead.
The "other" I will sell it...This "other" is also too long (307 vs 266) and not fit well in my setup for a sff case.
The broken acrylic is unfortunate, but I can fix it with a strong acrylic glue...not very pleased, though...

Last edited:
What is there solution, no one shows the part they send to the customers…

Cheers
Small copper cube. I think it's good enough.

Regarding the "other" brand, they apply pads on the COILS too and ppl reported that the whine is louder. Overall I lean more and more on keep using the Aurora block once I receive the cube, and sell that "other" block I just bought with ridiculous price...

inzer890

Greetings Alphacool. I’m planning tu purchase the full cover WB (Alphacool Aurora) for my new RTX 4090 Suprim card. Could you pls confirm wheter there was the block design update and what batch should I check, or the manufaturing date when the design changes were applied after?
Thank you.

MDK_pt

Greetings Alphacool. I’m planning tu purchase the full cover WB (Alphacool Aurora) for my new RTX 4090 Suprim card. Could you pls confirm wheter there was the block design update and what batch should I check, or the manufaturing date when the design changes were applied after?
Thank you.
There is no update tou can ask for the fix and they will send it to you

Cheers

Desuwa

They will send it using the cheapest, slowest possible shipping method with no tracking or guarantees. It's been a month and a half and I still haven't received the fix for my blocks. Just avoid alphacool entirely. I wish I never bought these but I had bought them early, before I was ready to water cool the rest of my system, and by the time I realize these blocks were defective I could no longer return them. I'm entirely done with alphacool as a brand now.

They will send it using the cheapest, slowest possible shipping method with no tracking or guarantees. It's been a month and a half and I still haven't received the fix for my blocks. Just avoid alphacool entirely. I wish I never bought these but I had bought them early, before I was ready to water cool the rest of my system, and by the time I realize these blocks were defective I could no longer return them. I'm entirely done with alphacool as a brand now.
I gave up waiting for their kit, just ordered a pure 4mm thick copper bar and a cheap silicone thermal adhesive. When it arrive I will cut the bar into a small piece the size of a mosfet, then use the adhesive to glue it to the MAIN BLOCK. Two of them are available in local stores so shipping won't take too long.
Thermal Adhesive: Heatsink Plaster STARS-922. Note that this is ADHESIVE.
Cooper bar: thickness 4mm

Last edited:

Desuwa

I finally got both my kits after complaining to alphacool about not receiving them. If you haven't received your stuff in over 7 weeks I'd complain to them to see if they won't remedy the situation. I'll note that the kits and instructions only include one copper block, which isn't going to be enough for owners of SUPRIM cards. I have regular base model Gaming Trios which each only have one uncovered VRM, so one additional copper block per card is enough for me, but if you have a SUPRIM card you need more than just one of these kits unless they're sending out double blocks to SUPRIM owners.

Regardless of which model of MSI 4090 you own, you need at least one of these kits, and the blocks should have been revised months ago.