'Gainward Phantom, Phantom GS, Palit GameRock, GameRock OC RTX 3090, 3080 waterblocks'

Vapormatt

We have to thank Alphacool and the support staff here for there great news in making a block for this card, its the best news of the new year for sure.

Thanks for your efforts guys in these trying times with covid, and yes i would like to see the forums members get offers of blocks when they are made, i for sure will be getting one.

Also a big thanks to all of you members who showed interest in getting this block made.(y)

snd1986

Exactly... Thanks to all the nags who didn't let up and got on our nerves to such an extent that we hardly had any other choice...... You are so bad ? ? ? ?

I was very close in trying to purchase another card with available waterblocks. But really didn't want to get rid of this one as it out performs most on the market. Been holding on with the hopes you guys come through and make a water block for this card. Greatly appreciate the good news. Now I won't be attempting to mod my old g12 to fit my gamerock oc! Thanks alot @Eddy

@Eddy If this block is made will we also see a backplate suitable for this PCB and if so is there any hopes for an actively cooled backplate?

I know I'm stretching it here :cool:

this could possibly "double" the amount of units(2x waterblocks per customer) sold for you guys....at least for the 3090 cards as these have memory ic's on the backside which are running crazy hot. Igors lab made an article about the heat problem GDDR6X at the limit? Over 100 degrees measured

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
Now there are also the special requests.

Joking aside. This will be a normal cooler like all the others. The RAMs will always get significantly hotter with GDDR6x, that's normal. We have other 3090 coolers in our range that customers have been using for a long time. Yes, the baseplate will get warm, but the temperatures are in the green zone. Active cooling is not necessary at all. That is a gimmick. The card generally stays much cooler than with an air cooler like in Igor's test. You can't compare that at all, even the RAM temperatures on the back are much lower with a water cooler without an actively cooled backplate than with the air cooler.

church

@Eddy i'm guessing that it's more then possible, that after first batch is sold out there might be later on other potential customers that found out too late. Not just for this case/block, but also for future and for other blocks, imho worth for Alphacool to set up some service/webpage for sake of gathering preorders for blocks not in active production, with list of all your blocks of past, current preorder count and goal target for rerun.
Probably, to ensure that preordering customer doesn't back out, eg. 50% advance payment should do.
Probably with provision that if in year (or whatever other arbitrary timeframe Alphacool considers reasonable to wait/gather group of buyers for another run of some block manufacturing) enough buyers not reached, then choice to preordering customer for refund of advance payment or prolonging waiting to next time interval.
This way imho Alphacool can be sure that blocks will be purchased w/o turning into unsold deadweight in inventory that needs from time to time be cleaned up with big discounts at loss, and late customers will have extra chance in organized fashion (and ability to track progress of group-buy number) to get some block even after it's discontinued or after small initial batch got sold out.
Also such page could be used for estimating real demand for future blocks, that you are not completely sure if demand numbers of them will recoup R&D & manufacturing costs, in less nagging and more organized fashion then this thread became :). And when another thread of not-yet-made block pops up, users can simply be directed to such preorder page i described of.
I hope i didn't produce something unusable/stupid/mad with this idea, but maybe something that might be deemed useful from business sense as well :)

Last edited:

Eddy

Iceman
Staff member
That's a nice idea, but the effort would be far too great. All the effort to collect the pre-orders, to maintain the website and to clarify the whole thing with the accounting department...... is not worth it. Because money can't just be parked in an account. There will be taxes, booking costs, and much more. In the end, it only costs us money and working time.
We can estimate quite well how big the market is for a cooler on the basis of various data. That's how we decide whether to produce a cooler or not.
Since all cooler models are currently being snatched out of our hands, I don't see any problem with this cooler either. But in the end, it's not only about whether there is a market for the cooler or not, but also about whether resellers are willing to list the models. If you have too many models, they will no longer be listed by resellers. Because they don't want to make the effort.

However... I'm not really worried that we won't sell enough of this cooler.

church

@RosaPanteren were browsing alphacool's shop .. and thought that theirs D-RAM cooler (acetal , plexi or with rgb aurora varieties) would fit well for your wished backplate cooling use. It seems big enough, of flat shape, should be simple to fit on top of stock or alphacool's backplate (if there will be such in addition to block itself in set). Just drill two holes in backplate for bolts to mount it .. or if card is mounted in classic horizontal direction instead of vertical with pcie riser, then maybe even without screws, just some thermalpad between. Alphacool had also X6 module once, but i cannot find it, maybe discontinued. Oh, and and another way would be aquacomputer's weird (cannot imagine someone actually liquid-cooling their hard drives) - aquadrive micro copper waterblock for cooling hard drives. As it's made for 3.5" drives, should cover very large area of backplate.

@RosaPanteren were browsing alphacool's shop .. and thought that theirs D-RAM cooler (acetal , plexi or with rgb aurora varieties) would fit well for your wished backplate cooling use. It seems big enough, of flat shape, should be simple to fit on top of stock or alphacool's backplate (if there will be such in addition to block itself in set). Just drill two holes in backplate for bolts to mount it .. or if card is mounted in classic horizontal direction instead of vertical with pcie riser, then maybe even without screws, just some thermalpad between. Alphacool had also X6 module once, but i cannot find it, maybe discontinued. Oh, and and another way would be aquacomputer's weird (cannot imagine someone actually liquid-cooling their hard drives) - aquadrive micro copper waterblock for cooling hard drives. As it's made for 3.5" drives, should cover very large area of backplate.
I already ordered 2x ram blocks + fittings a week or so ago ?

And I got Arctic Silver adhesiv which I will use to glue and make sure best possible contact.

If the backplate would have been copper I might have gone with soldering the edges and LM between the backplate and ram block, but I believe most backplates are aluminum like the stock bakplate on the Gamerock. And then LM is a no go. The stock backplate on the Gamerock actually do pretty good job at obtaining the heat from the memory/back pcb.

Right now i got an old cpu cooler straped to the backplate but the ram blocks will cover the whole area of mem ic’s and give 3x cooling surface.

I know it’s questionable wether or not these parts need active cooling......but the relative closeness to GPU core, M.2 drive and ram makes me want to remove the heat radiation from this area.

With the cpu block I saw a 10c degree drop(88c to 78c gaming for long periods) for the memory and 1-2c degree for core actually...

My plan is to run this in a seperate loop from CPU and GPU block.

Again this is not necessary at all and probably not something that will yield any substantial gains, but to me it’s fun building and tweaking the components.

If Alphacool would have made an active backplate I could use the ram blocks in another rig I got.

Last edited: