XFX 7900XT merc 310 high junction temperature

Rydeon

Update from my side. Did a remount to eliminate the bowing of PCB and backplate. Used sausage application and Noctua H2 paste since it is a bit easier to push out compared to Kryonaut. Water temp at 36C and GPU at 55C and hot spot reaching 82C. Still a bit high but this time acceptable. Will see how this works over time.
Can you tell me how you eliminated the bowing of the PCB?

unknowncow

I used very little force to the screws around the core. When I did it with a lot of force I got severe bowing. Since I don't know how much torque I can just say feeling. I used a small electronics screwdriver like this one https://eustore.ifixit.com/products/pro-tech-toolkit

The I used 2-3 fingers to tighten the screws, I eased them in a bit going from side to side instead of crosswise. So e.g. start to thread screws on the left side then on the right. Then left side half way down and then right and then tighten finally on left and then right.

Did try it out in starfield for a few hours last night. Temps seem a lot better. Hot spot hovers around 60-65C with the occasional 80-82C.

I think it's the sixth time I assemble the block overall.

Good luck!

slader

So is there anybody in this thread with issues that is happening to a 7900xtx not from xfx or is it just the xfx cards?

Ik asking because I find it hard to believe that all other versions of this card are without issue.

Ghost666Ghost

Any news here? Today i'm getting the Alphacool Block for my Sapphire 7900XT Pulse and i'm very unsure if i should install it or send it back...I ordered the Bykski Block too. Not sure which one i should use :(

slader

So far it only seems to be an issue with xfx merc 310 7900xtx cards, so you should be good with your card

slader

So I'm looking at the different blocks, the new core blocks also fill in the sides of the card. Part of the bowing comes from the backplate bending with the card, the core editions looks like it should not have this issue. Is anybody running a care edition of this block that can post pictures of the spacing with the screws ?

Horushka

So I'm looking at the different blocks, the new core blocks also fill in the sides of the card. Part of the bowing comes from the backplate bending with the card, the core editions looks like it should not have this issue. Is anybody running a care edition of this block that can post pictures of the spacing with the screws ?
Sorry, not ready to disassemble the loop to take pictures, but here are some of my observations:
Only one far corner standoff was slightly short, so i didnt screw it completely, left it half tightened.
Bowing at GPU area happenes if I try to tighten screws around gpu die too much even without attaching the backplate.
So for my Red Devil Core block only one standoff looked short.

Deralique

Any news here? Today i'm getting the Alphacool Block for my Sapphire 7900XT Pulse and i'm very unsure if i should install it or send it back...I ordered the Bykski Block too. Not sure which one i should use :(
I have successfully returned the alphacool block to Ali Express and have a bykski one on the way also - hoping for better temps once it arrives - have some PTM7950 ready to go also - reading TIM pump out is a common scenario and happens across a wide range of cards on both air and water. I’d go the bykski one first given the trials and tribulations in this thread 🙄😂

dcox12

I have successfully returned the alphacool block to Ali Express and have a bykski one on the way also - hoping for better temps once it arrives - have some PTM7950 ready to go also - reading TIM pump out is a common scenario and happens across a wide range of cards on both air and water. I’d go the bykski one first given the trials and tribulations in this thread 🙄😂
I'm looking forward to your results.
Not that I am eager to buy the Bykski instead of AC's core but in the end I would prefer function over form.

DirtyAlpaca

Quick & Dirty Solution

It's been quite some time, but coming here to post my final update.

Back in June I talked about a Kryosheet and it has been on my desk ever since.

Today I made some time to take out the block another time, but I'm so glad I replaced my hard tubing with EPDM tubes (ZMT). Goddamn lifesaver and I'm also very happy with the esthetic outcome.
Anyways, let's get to the point directly.

Installed the kryosheet 25x25 from Thermal Grizzly. The outcome is AMAZING.
All pads on the PCB were torn apart from yet another disassembly, but I couldn't care less anymore. I can even tell the results weren't impacted because of the ripped pads.

All tests below were done with fans running on 800RPM and D5 running on 57% fixed, which is dead silent.

STOCK 350w
Kryosheet350w.jpg

15% POWERLIMIT 400w
Kryosheet400w.jpg

JUST A REFERENCE TO MY PREVIOUS CYBERPUNK ;)
cyberpunkkryosheet.jpg

Get your dang Thermal Grizzly.
No more pumpouts, no more AMD Chill. Just place it on the die and forget about it.
I placed on every corner a tiny blob op thermalpaste so the kryosheet would not slide away when placing the block on the PCB.
Yea, you need to work a bit different, but it's worth it.

A little thing I need to mention is that the Bykski blocks won't be any better, so don't spend extra money there. Just get the sheet!

Peace out

Horushka

Quick & Dirty Solution

Today I made some time to take out the block another time, but I'm so glad I replaced my hard tubing with EPDM tubes (ZMT). Goddamn lifesaver and I'm also very happy with the esthetic outcome.

All pads on the PCB were torn apart from yet another disassembly, but I couldn't care less anymore. I can even tell the results weren't impacted because of the ripped pads.

All tests below were done with fans running on 800RPM and D5 running on 57% fixed, which is dead silent.

STOCK 350w
View attachment 5587

15% POWERLIMIT 400w
View attachment 5588

View attachment 5589

No more pumpouts, no more AMD Chill. Just place it on the die and forget about it.
I placed on every corner a tiny blob op thermalpaste so the kryosheet would not slide away when placing the block on the PCB.

A little thing I need to mention is that the Bykski blocks won't be any better, so don't spend extra money there. Just get the sheet!

Peace out
Hey hey!
Yea, same experience here almost, I've used Honeywell ptm7950, temps are awesome.
And ZMT is godlike =D
Here's my build, rly enjoyed ZMT and Alphacool COre with Honeywell pad, temps are similar to yours

Marsl82

So is there anybody in this thread with issues that is happening to a 7900xtx not from xfx or is it just the xfx cards?

Ik asking because I find it hard to believe that all other versions of this card are without issue.
I have same with myc XFX 7900XTX merc 310 Black Edition

DirtyAlpaca

I have same with myc XFX 7900XTX merc 310 Black Edition
I have no clue how to GPU batches were distributed by AMD to the cardbuilders.
But I have found out that the GCD was placed lower than the MCDs on the XFX cards.

A precision depth meter would be necessary to confirm this.
It's also quite visible after removing the waterblock. The paste is squeezed away from the MCDs and most of the paste remains on the GCD.

You can feel it with the tip of your finger.
You can see it with a small aluminum ruler and backlight.
You can see it by filling the top of the GCD with liquid. It's trapped by the MCDs around it.
IMG_20230926_105719.jpg

Maybe there's this small reasoning why the XFX7900s were on top of the price lists.

Last edited:

juanpcm

Its happening to me too, with the reference card, air had better temps..

juanpcm

So how did you torque the screws, normally? or like some post mentioned very light tight to avoid bend?

Im going to buy the Kryosheet and give it a try, I dont like having to spend more money on top of everything but if it works... ill report once i do it.

DirtyAlpaca

@juanpcm Don't overthink that torque advise.
I'm taking it with a grain of salt since I've tried different torques. Alphacool suggested 1nm and the 4 screws were really snug around the core.

Basically, with the Kryosheet, you fixate the 4 screws around the core pretty snug, but stop before stripping. Finger tighten the remaining screws that apply pressure to the outside pads for the mosfets. This way you will limit the bad looking bend. I've installed a vertical GPU bracket so I don't need to look at it any longer. Make sure you support the card if installed horizontally.

You would only want to loosen the 4 screws around the core if you use thermal paste to prevent some kind of pump out.

Good luck with the Kryosheet.

Marsl82

I have no clue how to GPU batches were distributed by AMD to the cardbuilders.
But I have found out that the GCD is place lower than the MCDs on the XFX cards.

A precision depth meter would be necessary to confirm this.
It's also quite visible after removing the waterblock. The paste is squeezed away from the MCDs and most of the paste remains on the GCD.

You can feel it with the tip of your finger.
You can see it with a small aluminum ruler and backlight.
You can see it by filling the top of the GCD with liquid. It's trapped by the MCDs around it.
View attachment 5590

Maybe there's this small reasoning why the XFX7900s were on top of the price lists.
i orderd the Honeywell ptm7950 today and i will test, and i hope so that i got better Hopspot.

IcyStorm

Quick & Dirty Solution

STOCK 350w
View attachment 5587

15% POWERLIMIT 400w
View attachment 5588

View attachment 5589

Peace out

HI,
I have 7900XTX ASRock Taichi - i am using the card since late Jan.23'. with Alphacool Eiswolf 2 AIO - 360mm RX 7900XTX

First 2-3 months all was good /80-85C/ but eventually i came to 100-105C on the hot spot. / Cyberpunk RT 4k Ultra / I was using the exact instructions from AlphaCool how to put the card together. Not really happy with it it anyway..

Question -
1. I am looking into replacing the thermal paste with Honeywell ptm7950 or minus pad extreme from Greezly. Can you confirm what size i should use for the GPU ? 1mm thickness or more?
2. Should i replace the stock thermal pads with different thickness ? My delta is 25C... rearly reches 29c.

p.s1 - ASRock Taichi is coming with holder or support braket - i dont have a bend of the card as that thing keeps card straight.
p.s2 I think i tightened the gpu quite well..but i dont have any bending or something...how to find out if i have?

Horushka

HI,
I have 7900XTX ASRock Taichi - i am using the card since late Jan.23'. with Alphacool Eiswolf 2 AIO - 360mm RX 7900XTX

First 2-3 months all was good /80-85C/ but eventually i came to 100-105C on the hot spot. / Cyberpunk RT 4k Ultra / I was using the exact instructions from AlphaCool how to put the card together. Not really happy with it it anyway..

Question -
1. I am looking into replacing the thermal paste with Honeywell ptm7950 or minus pad extreme from Greezly. Can you confirm what size i should use for the GPU ? 1mm thickness or more?
2. Should i replace the stock thermal pads with different thickness ? My delta is 25C... rearly reches 29c.

p.s1 - ASRock Taichi is coming with holder or support braket - i dont have a bend of the card as that thing keeps card straight.
p.s2 I think i tightened the gpu quite well..but i dont have any bending or something...how to find out if i have?
For GPU 1mm seems too much. Honeywell ptm7950 is 0.2mm and works perfectly for me.

Deralique

I'm looking forward to your results.
Not that I am eager to buy the Bykski instead of AC's core but in the end I would prefer function over form.
Just giving you all an update - installed the Bykski block last night with some PTM7950. MUCH better results . . . I never tested PTM7950 on the alphacool block so take these results with a grain of salt I guess . . . Instructions were crap and you get more screws that you need and others that aren't used at all . . . . so a little experimentation was required. The Bykski block mounts differently than the alphacool with no 'Spring screws' and also no thermal pads between PCB and back plate either. All temps seem absolutely A-Ok though including memory. No worries about torque etc when mounting the block either - screwed everything down until finger tight and no bowed backplate. It has two rubber spacers that keep the backplate firmly pressed against the PCB right around the back of the die.

Some initial numbers . . .

Idle - GPU 29c HotSpot 35c (2 x 360mm Ekwb PE Rads, D5 @50% - Fans 1000rpm)

3DMark TimeSpy Run - Default Settings - GPU 39c HotSpot 59c
3DMark TimeSpy Run - OC Settings - GPU 42c HotSpot 66c (+15%PL, Average Core , 2700 Vmem 1090mV) Total Board Power 448W

A few hours of Apex Legends with the above settings - GPU 45c, HotSpot 68c

CyberPunk Benchmark 4K Ultra - GPU 41c, Hotspot 62c

Super happy that I'm back playing on a fast, cool and quiet machine again - just going to enjoy playing with it for awhile rather than taking it apart ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1097.jpeg
    IMG_1097.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 31